Filed under Features, Opinion

The media’s misleading expectations of high school

(Stamatia Scarvelis / Photo)

By Ella Jensen | Staff Writer

November 8, 2012

My first impression of high school was nothing like I imagined it would be.

I walked through the hallways on my first day of school and thought to myself, “What is this?”

I was expecting indoor hallways, lockers lining the campus, cheerleaders surrounding the letterman jacket-wearing jocks, and enormous seniors pouncing on freshmen.

Upon arriving at Dos Pueblos, I learned this was far from true.

Throughout the past few years I have watched numerous T.V. shows that depict high school settings like Glee, Awkward, Secret Life of the American Teenager, and Gossip Girl.

Movies such as “Easy A,” “Mean Girls,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Napoleon Dynamite,” “The Breakfast Club,” “Clueless,” “Pretty in Pink,” “Bring it On,” and “Fame” all create a dramatic perception on high school life.

I have never met a ‘Regina George’, and I’m not expecting to.

I haven’t been annoyed by a peppy cheerleader and thankfully I have never been shoved into a trashcan.

In some ways I’m glad, but in other ways I am feeling let down.

To most freshmen, including myself, Dos Pueblos seems like an “average” high school, and that’s all thanks to the media.

Media has dramatized high school in the movies to make it seem amazing, when there is practically no social excitement.

Theater geeks fill the halls of Dos Pueblos, but I’ve never seen a slushy in anyone’s face, and I was kind of looking forward to it.

In Glee, the Glee Club members go from wearing plain white tees to looking like a maraschino cherry in the matter of seconds. It is the media that has made high school seem so much more interesting.

And don’t even get me started on cliques because there are close to none.

Yes, there are different types and groups of people at Dos Pueblos, but it’s not like the popular kids stay as far away as they can from the geeks.

Although there are the girls who wear shorts that might as well be underwear and guys that can’t get over themselves, there isn’t a group of defined “popular kids” on campus.

On high school-based T.V. shows, characters tend to have entire conversations in front of their lockers during passing periods. I wish!

First of all, we aren’t privileged with spacious lockers. Instead, the hallways are filled with typical freshmen complemented by their bulging backpacks sticking out at least a yard.

Second of all, we have about five minutes between classes which is just enough time to have a quick, “Hello, goodbye,” with someone and then start walking to the next class.

The movie Easy A is even more shocking. The student’s phones are out on their desks and the teacher doesn’t even care.

I mean, sure, we all text in class once in a while, but the district is still pending the decision of having phones out on campus at all.

Personally, I felt mislead and my expectations were completely different.

High school has been great, but nothing near the type of school that is depicted over the media.

2 Responses to “The media’s misleading expectations of high school”

1. Journalism is the best! on November 8th, 2012 8:55 pm

This picture is very well taken with the lighting! It kinda makes me think that it is a father trying to save his daughter from a nerd!! Nice Article!

2. Nerd on November 10th, 2012 11:03 pm

Hey! What’s wrong with nerds?