Sports Update: Chargers take charge in Ventura invite meet

By Emma Redick

By Emma Redick | Sports Editor

March 10, 2013

Yesterday the Dos Pueblos track and field team competed in Ventura High School’s invitational meet, set three new meet records, and came home with gold, silver and broze hardware.

And the official season hasn’t even started yet.

The boys distance medley relay team (DMR), consisting of Max Davis, John Greening, John Linehan and Bryan Ferndandez were the first record-setters at the meet.

The DMR team not only took first in the event but broke the pre-existing meet record of ten minutes, 39 seconds and 62 millseconds set by DP in in 2011. The new record is set at 10:39.59.

On the field, junior thrower Stamtia Scarvelis swept the meet and set two meet records after throwing 46 feet and 6 inches to win the girls varsity shot put which had a previous record of  42′ 1/4″ set in 1981. Scarvelis continued on to take first in the discus with a record of 142′ 6″ and take home first place medals in all her events.

However, the meet records were not the only highlights of the meet for the Chargers.

Senior sprinter Jordan Tymon finished second in the open 400m with a time of 1 minute, three seconds and 71 milliseconds with teammate Caylin Canales finishing fifth over all and a time of 1.05.4.

Senior Emma Redick finished second overall in the open 200m with a time of 26 seconds and three milliseconds while junior teammate Niema Poindexter finished eighth overall in the 100m with a time of 13.20.

In the varsity woman’s paul volt, junior Sydney Eilbacher finished second overall with a height of 10 feet and six inches. On the boys side, junior Tate Cutcliff finished second as well and took home the silver with a height of 13-06.00.

With the league season beginning on Thursday against rivals, San Marcos, the Chargers are already off to a record-breaking and quick start as they are dominating the track events, field events and are bringing home victory.

1 Comment

One Response to “Sports Update: Chargers take charge in Ventura invite meet”

1. Richard Priest on April 28th, 2013 10:30 AM

Holly Tokar, with her 12-7 vault at the 2013 Ventura County Championships, ranks tied for 44th girl, event, CIF history, and tied for 20th girl, event, Southern Section history. I maintain CIF individual event statistical histories and the 100 fastest school 400 meter and 1600 meter relay annual teams. Forty-two girls in CIF history have vaulted 12-8, or higher.

[Reply]