Sports Update: Charger track and field girls take home first league win

By Emma Redick

By Emma Redick | Sports Editor

March 15, 2013

Yesterday, the Dos Pueblos Chargers traveled into land of the Royals for the first league track meet of the season.

The varsity girls walked away with the victory while the boys fell to the Royal rule.

Junior Addi Zerrenner finished first in both of her races. Zerrenner, after making a 50 meter come back in the 1600, finished  5:21.47 and the 3200 in 12:16.1.

Both the four-by-100 meter and four-by-400 relays also came out victorious, taking the points that helped lead the girls team to victory.

Senior Emma Redick finished first the 200 meter with a time of 26.60 while Jordan Tymon took first in the 400 with a time of 1 minute and three seconds.

And the girls field events were equally victorious.

Cerina Bhavnani won the varsity long jump of 16-4 and tied Charlotte Garratt of San Marcos for first in the high jump at 4-10.

Junior Niema Poindexter finished first in triple jump with a winning mark of 35-4 and junior thrower Stamtia Scarvelis threw 47-11 in the shot put and 154-0 in the discus.

Despite the Charger girls victory, the boys couldn’t pull through with the win.

However, the loss left room for a few first place finishes.

Bryan Fernandez won the 800 meter(2:01:72) and John Linehan was able to walk away with wins in the 200, the long jump (21-7), 400 and the four-by-400m relay.

Linehan and Fernandez’s wins couldn’t pull through with the points needed seeding San Marcos ahead of Dos Pueblos in the league standings.

Tonight, selected DP athletes are headed off to the Redondo Nike invitational meet which continues through Saturday.

The Chargers head south in hopes of taking times that will qualify them for the Arcadia invitational meet in April.