Girls Water Polo Seniors Take Talents to the Next Level

By Britni Tisdale

Britni Tisdale | Staff Writer

March 18, 2014

“Shannon [Cleary], Ari [St. Oegger] and Britten [Vilander] represent the best in student athletes. They are great competitors and always take pride in academics. They are great role models for the next generation of water polo players at DP,” said Girls Water Polo Coach Parrish of the three graduating Seniors.

Ari St. Oegger recruited by Little Marymount University

Ari St. Oegger was recruited by Loyola Marymount University

After four full years of competing on the varsity level, St. Oegger was recruited by Loyola Marymount University in LA. St. Oegger explained that she is going to miss going to tournaments and hanging out with the team. Her favorite memory of her was seeing “Tangled” with the team, enjoying team bonding. St. Oegger’s proudest achievement is having been a part of a CIF Championship winning team.

“My favorite moment in the game is when we are winning and everyone is smiling and having a fun time and enjoying themselves,” St. Oegger said. “The hardest part of playing a sport and keeping up with academic workloads is having two practices a day, and having to come home to a bunch of homework that you know you will probably end up fall asleep while doing it.”

Britten Vilander recruited by Iona College

Britten Vilander was recruited by Iona College

Britten Vilander, Dos Pueblos’ goalie, will be playing water polo for Iona College. Vilander said that she is sad to leave behind the excitement and fun as well as the temperatures that 6am morning practices bring. “My strongest memory from water polo is the extremely hard leg sets that our Assistant Coach Paul Wilson gives,” said Vilander.

“My favorite moment from water polo was winning CIF with my sister,” said Vilander. She explained that, “The hardest part about balancing school while playing a sport for me is doing homework when I’m exhausted from having two practices in one day, and no being able to finish my homework  in the morning because I have practice.”

Stanford is lucky to be getting Charger Shannon Cleary next year as a water polo player. Cleary has been on varsity for four years and is looking forward to the challenges college water polo has in store for her.

Being able to go to Stanford next year is her proudest achievement in water polo and she is excited to be a part of the Stanford team.  “I’m really going to miss the people who I have played with,” Cleary said. “I can always replace the pure aspect of playing the sport with other locations, but no matter where I go the players and coaches will never be the same.”

Shannon Cleary recruited by Stanford

Shannon Cleary was recruited by Stanford

Cleary’s strongest memory from water polo was from her freshman year when she played for a team that went undefeated for two whole seasons. Cleary is fond of is the memories created over the summer by the 18’s Club Team she played for (particularly the training trips and tournaments).

“My favorite moment from a game was at Junior Olympics, and we were in the semi finals. We ended up going into a shoot out and beating Socal (a club team), making our way into the finals,” said Cleary.

The hardest part for Cleary about balancing academic workloads while playing club and high school water polo is time management and sleep. She believes that staying organized is a lot to handle. “It is especially hard when I’m tired because it is harder to focus and it hampers my school,” said senior Shannon.

Speaking as a teammate and friend, they are all such encouraging people who almost always have a positive attitudes. Such attitudes and work ethics have earned them bright futures and remarkable opportunities. 

I’m sad to say goodbye to these terrific players and friends, but I know they will enjoy their times in college. The rest of the team and I wish the girls luck in the coming years! Best of luck to Ari, Britten and Shannon. You will be missed!