Female Track & Field Stars continue CIF run

By Lennie Nelson

Lennie Nelson | Staff Writer

June 2, 2014

Stamatia Scarvelis won a few more titles and Addi Zerrenner smashed her personal record in the 3200m. It’s beginning to sound like a broken record, but the two Chargers have continued their record breaking success with consistency. At Cerritos College on Friday night, the pair reached new heights.

CIF Southern Section Masters was the next in line of many qualifying meets that Southern California athletes must do to qualify for the State Championships. As one of the highest populated areas in the United States, they have the most difficult and arduous road to State. Last week, Scarvelis and Zerrenner only competed against the best of their division, this time they had to match up against the best of all 4 divisions.

Scarvelis won Shot Put and Discus for the 2nd time in a row at Masters. Her throw of 52’9.5 was close to a season’s best in the Shot. She still won the competition by over 2 feet. In the Discus, she won in 154’09. Her personal best for the Disc is 172’7, so a less than great day for Scarvelis was still leaps and bounds ahead of her competition on Friday. She is 2nd in State history for the Shot Put, and 14th in the Discus. Next up for the UCLA bound senior is another Double-Double attempt at the State Championships.

Senior Addi Zerrenner placed 3rd in a blistering fast Girls 3200m. Her time was 10:15.50, which comes only a week after setting her personal best at 10:19 on the same track. Zerrenner has recorded a personal best in the 3200 every time she’s raced on the Cerritos track. This latest performance has moved her up to 22nd fastest All-Time in California. Returning to the Track State meet for the first time since 2012, she will look to end her high school career with another great showing in Fresno.