Roberts Leads DP in Rout of Santa Ynez

By Tim Heiduk

Dos Pueblos’ offensive line played an integral role in the Chargers’ victory over Santa Ynez, not allowing a sack. (Photo courtesy of Malia Carrasco)

Dos Pueblos’ offensive line played an integral role in the Chargers’ victory over Santa Ynez, keeping Roberts sack-free (Photo courtesy of Malia Carrasco)

In his second ever varsity start, sophomore quarterback Kellen Roberts had a career night Friday, leading Dos Pueblos to a 48-20 blowout win over Santa Ynez. Roberts accounted for six of DP’s seven touchdowns (five passing, one rushing), and completed 16 of 20 passes for 320 yards.

“This week I was more confident,” Roberts said. “I got more comfortable with the offense…. The coaches made it easy for me this week and told me everything that I needed to know.”

Roberts also credited his offensive line, who did not allow any quarterback sack in the game: “My offensive line kept me very safe tonight.”

“If it weren’t for them, I would not have had any time back there. They helped me make the plays that I did.”

The Chargers opened the scoring early with Roberts’ two-yard TD run, and would add on to their lead with two more first half touchdowns (a 55-yard TD catch by senior Caesar Flores, and a 4-yard TD by senior Angel Davison).

Santa Ynez got itself on the scoreboard with a field goal just before halftime, and reduced the deficit to 20-10 early in the second half. But the visiting Pirates would not get any closer, as DP’s dynamic offensive play continued.

Senior Malik Harris turned the momentum back in DP’s favor, catching a screen pass and taking it 57 yards for a touchdown. Senior John Wetzel followed this up with two receiving touchdowns of his own. Wetzel led the Chargers with 93 receiving yards on 4 catches that night. Senior Connor Kanen rounded out the scoring for DP, catching Roberts’ fifth touchdown pass of the game.

DP rolled to its first victory of the season despite playing without seven starters, and multiple other key players, due to injury. In an interview on Thursday, Head Coach Nate Mendoza called on “different guys to step up to the plate and play.” Step up to the plate they did.

Offensive Coordinator Matt York said, “We had a lot of [players] step up…It was just exciting to see some of those guys take the baton and run with it.” These players included freshman offensive lineman Erick Nisich, sophomore tight end Marcellous Gossett, junior wide receiver/cornerback Vicente Baltadano, and junior linebacker Taylor Leon.

Angel Davison had another big game running the ball, rushing for 92 yards on 17 carries. Malik Harris added 35 rushing yards on 4 carries.

Coach York spoke of Davison’s importance to the team: “He is a coach’s dream, [through] his preparation, motivation, and leadership within the team…. He has been our playmaker.”

Coach Mendoza complimented junior Isahi Melendez and senior Jeff Uyesaka for their “excellent” performances.

After the big win against Santa Ynez, Dos Pueblos (1-2) has its work cut out for itself in its next two games, playing Newbury Park (Sept. 19) and Lompoc (Sept. 25), ranked 1st and 3rd respectively in Division III by MaxPreps.

Malik Harris said, “We play a great opponent next week, Newbury Park, and they are ranked. I am just ready to head into that game and have a good challenge.”