Newbury Park’s Defense Suffocates Dos Pueblos

By Tim Heiduk

Photo / Elisian Ly

Photo / Elisian Ly

Newbury Park (number one in DIII) blitzed early and often, preventing Dos Pueblos from getting anything going offensively. The visiting Panthers combined their impressive defensive display with a versatile offense, en route to a 51-0 victory over the DP Chargers.

Newbury Park’s “penetrating defense” forced three DP turnovers in one of its “best defensive efforts,” said Panthers’ head coach Gary Fabricius. The Panthers limited DP to one first down, and very few offensive yards.

The Panthers were prolific in their offense as well. Fabricius said, “We finally got our running game going…they [Dos Pueblos] tried to take away 2 [Darick Holmes Jr.] and 5 [Darnay Holmes], so we hit them with 7 [Matthew Matlock].”

Matlock got the Panthers on the scoreboard, breaking a couple of tackles on his way to a 49-yard touchdown run. In the second quarter, Matlock added another touchdown run, this time from 11 yards out.

Newbury Park quarterback Daniel Prieto threw for two touchdowns, one to Ryan McGee, and the other to Holmes Jr.

Chucky Smith and Nick Juels also found the end zone for the Panthers.

Newbury Park’s defense joined in on the scoring, when Blake Burgess recovered a fumble, and returned it for a touchdown. Burgess said, “My D-end Brock Barton came out, hit him [the DP running back], jarred the ball loose, I grabbed it. I just kept running and I got a nice lead block.”

Fabricius said, “[Burgess] has a pick and a scoop and score already [this season]. He is a neat kid, works hard.”

DP head coach Nate Mendoza said, “You can’t make any mistakes against a really talented team like that, and unfortunately we made a lot of mistakes.

“There is a reason why they’re a number one team, and they played like the number one team.”

Despite the lopsided score line, Dos Pueblos continued to fight until the end. Mendoza said, “Our players were still playing hard for us, there was no quit in our team. We asked that at halftime, that there would be no quit.”

Mendoza added, “There are always things to learn, especially from a loss like that. You can always gain a lot of positives from it. Again, we are not happy with the result by any means, but there’s definitely some things that we talked about in the locker room that we are going to take moving forward.”

Jeff Uyesaka and Caesar Flores played well defensively for the Chargers. Uyesaka made DP’s play of the game, intercepting Prieto’s pass late in the first quarter.

Mendoza said, “[Uyesaka]’s shined every week for us. If you’re talking about who’s been our most consistent defensive player, it’s definitely Uyesaka out there. Caesar Flores continues to play a great safety for us.”

Angel Davison also impressed defensively for Dos Pueblos.

DP’s defense started the game strong, stopping Newbury Park on fourth down on both of the Panthers’ first two drives. But a lack of offensive rhythm forced DP’s defense to stay on the field for long stretches of the game, and the Panthers’ offensive attack took advantage.

Both Dos Pueblos (1-3) and Newbury Park (4-0) need to move on from this game quickly, as both teams face tough challenges next week. Dos Pueblos faces off against Lompoc (4-0, number three in DIII according to MaxPreps), while Newbury Park goes head to head with Cathedral Catholic (3-1).

Burgess spoke of the challenge that Cathedral Catholic presents: “Next week, it’s going to be a battle. It’s going to be a hard-fought game.”