Sports Roundup: Week of 10/19 to 10/25

(Doug Trumbull/photo)

(Doug Trumbull/photo)

By Loren Young

Football (Coach: Nate Mendoza):

The Chargers’ JV team was able to take over the game versus the Royals by winning 28-7 last Thursday at home. Chris Noggle started the Chargers off with two rushing touchdowns. Isaac Lopez followed by both scoring another touchdown and passing to Miles Ibarra for DP’s fourth touchdown. JV improved to 1-2 in League.

Earlier that day, freshmen football lost by only one touchdown against San Marcos at home. Cyrus Wallace was Dos Pueblos’ only scorer, but SM was able to step ahead by making a touchdown with under a minute left in the game. DP’s freshmen are now 1-2 in League.

Then on Friday, Varsity lost the “Battle of the Goodland” against San Marcos with a fourth-quarter score of 27-10. Sophomore Kellen Roberts threw to junior Josh Flora for Dos Pueblos’ only touchdown of the game. Senior Nathan Garcia also made a 28 yard field goal, but SM’s defense was overpowering and prevented DP from scoring again. The Royals also made nine sacks, including one against senior quarterback Barrett Burnes in the second play of the game.

This week, Charger football plays Ventura to end their season. FR/SO plays against them at home at 4 p.m Thursday. JV plays away during the same time slot. Varsity faces the Cougars at 7 p.m. away at Ventura.

Girls Golf (Coach: Rob Schiff):

Last Tuesday, the Chargers emerged victorious as the Channel League Girls Golf Champions at Soule Park in Ojai. Bella Vigna took first place with a two-day score of 149; DP claimed five of the first six spots and added one more to the top-ten. Vigna and two other Chargers – Megan Caird (third) and Jamie Sharpe (fourth) – will all move on to the CIF Individual Tournament with Miraya Ramirez (fifth) and Mika Henrickson (sixth) serving as alternates.

This week, girls golf plays Thursday away for the CIF Team Divisional.

Boys Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Tuesday, Dos Pueblos lost a close 13-11 game against Santa Barbara High. Senior Blake Parrish scored eight goals, followed by Kelly Reynolds, Quinn Peacock and Dylan Elliot.

But they were able to prevail in a solid 20-9 match on Thursday versus Buena. Quinn Peacock showed that he was the star of the day with five assists and four steals. Blake Parrish and Dylan Elliot were the lead scorers for DP, and goalie Kyle Krutenat was able to stop ten shots and had three steals and three assists. The Chargers are now 4-1 in League.

This week, the boys play San Marcos at home on Tuesday (Varsity at 3 p.m., JV at 4 p.m., and freshman at 5 p.m.) They then play away in the Memorial Tournament at Bellarmine College in San Jose both Friday and Saturday.

Girls Tennis (Coach: Anita Patton):

Last Friday, girls tennis lost to Dana Hills 15-3 with sophomore Katie Yang leading by winning two of three singles and junior KC Egger giving DP their third point.

Then on Saturday, the Chargers faced a second 15-3 loss to Mira Costa. Again, Katie Yang, with her partner KC Egger, won two of three of their doubles and sophomore Rosie Hillebrandt secured DP’s third point.

This week, girls tennis plays Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday away at Santa Barbara High in a face-off for the League title.

Cross Country (Coach: Bob Wilcher):

Last Saturday, some of DP’s top runners took a trip to compete in the Mt. San Antonio College Invitational. In the JV boys race, all six of the Chargers competing medalled by placing in the top 15, taking second overall. Dustin Oakes placed second individually in a time of 17:19; Josh Fry fifth in 17:22; and Jacob Stucky seventh in 17:26.

For the Varsity girls, Elaine McClure’s fifth place finish followed by Christina Rice’s tenth helped the girls place third overall. Standout performances on the boy’s varsity side included Chris Wasjutin’s fifth in a time of 15:57 and Nathan Alvarez’s 21st in 16:36.

This week, cross country travels north to Lompoc for the Santa Barbara County Championships with freshman boys racing at 2 p.m., each race following a half hour after the last.

Girls Volleyball (Coach: Todd Garrett):

Last Thursday, Dos Pueblos lost to San Marcos at home with scores of 24-26, 25-18, 21-25, 25-17, and 15-8. McKenna Goss was the star of the Chargers with 21 kills, followed by Natalie Klapp with 10 kills and 17 digs; meanwhile Sam Sander made an impressive 28 digs.

This week, the girls play against Buena away on Thursday, and then compete Friday and Saturday in the Santa Barbara Tournament of Champions event.

For those who wish to try out for a winter sport, the schedule is as follows:

Boys Basketball: Saturday Nov. 8, 9-noon in the gym

Girls Basketball: Saturday Nov. 8. 1-3 p.m. in the gym

Boys Soccer: Monday Nov. 3 & Tuesday Nov. 4, 3-6 p.m. on the lower soccer field

Girls Soccer: Thursday Nov. 6 & Friday Nov. 7, 4-6 p.m. on the lower soccer field

Girls Water Polo: Monday Nov. 10, 3-4:30 p.m. at the pool

Wrestling: Monday Nov. 3, 3-5 p.m. in the wrestling room

If your game or competition wasn’t covered here, contact lyoung16@thechargeraccount.org to make sure we hear about it and cover it next time.