Sports Round-up: Week of 02/01 to 02/07

Goalie Alex Camarillo scoops up the ball as teammate Emma Trumbull holds off a Long Beach Poly player (Kristen Gowdy/photo)

By Loren Young

Boys Soccer (Coach: Matt York):

Last Tuesday, the Chargers were able to outscore Santa Barbara High, winning 1-0. The scoreboard was still at 0-0 at halftime, but senior Tim Heiduk set up a shot for Manny Nwosu, who tapped in the ball and scored the game’s only goal.

Then on Thursday, the boys tied Buena 1-1 in a Channel League game. Heiduk scored DP’s lone goal in the second half after a scoreless first half, as in Tuesday’s game. The Bulldogs went one-on-one with DP goalie Alex Matthews and were able to tie the game.

Even with the tie, Dos Pueblos’ boys soccer team won the outright Channel League title, the first time since 1983.

This Tuesday, the boys play away against San Marcos High (Frosh and JV go at 3:15 p.m. and Varsity is at 5 p.m.)

Girls Soccer (Coach: Hugh Hollis):

Last Tuesday, the girls couldn’t match the boys’ game against Santa Barbara, tieing the Dons 1-1. Ady Willett received a pass from Malia Morales and headed the ball to Idalis Rodriguez who scored DP’s goal. But Santa Barbara made a rush up the far side of the field to bring the score to 1-1.

Then on Thursday, DP lost to Buena High 5-1 in a Channel League game. Ady Willett passed to Anya Schmitz who was able to put the first point on the scoreboard. Buena then struck back by taking a 2-1 lead in the first half and adding another three goals in the second half.

The Chargers are now 5-1-1 in league and are trying to get their first league title in 30 years.

This Tuesday, DP plays home versus San Marcos High (Frosh and JV are at 3:15 p.m. and Varsity is at 5 p.m.) Then on Thursday, they stay home again and play Rio Mesa High (JV and Varsity go at 3:15 p.m.)

Boys Basketball (Coach: Joe Zamora):

Last Wednesday, Dos Pueblos lost to cross-town rival Santa Barbara High 77-64. DP was able to outscore SB in the fourth quarter 26-13 but the Dons were still ahead after ending the third quarter 64-38.

Then on Friday, the Chargers again lost in another Channel League game, this time against Buena High 57-49. DP’s top scorers were Eli Wopat with 11 points and Jayson Williams with 10 points. The team falls to 0-7 in league.

This Tuesday, the boys stay at home to play San Marcos High (Frosh is at 4:15 p.m., JV goes at 5:30 p.m., and Varsity plays last at 7 p.m.)

Girls Basketball (Coach: Phil Sherman):

Last Tuesday in the Sovine Gym, girls basketball also lost to Santa Barbara High in a Channel League game, this time 63-40. Camila Casanueva and Devan Staggs both added 12 points apiece for the Chargers.

Then on Thursday, DP lost to Buena 45-41. The lead Charger scorers were freshman Amber Belletti with 10 points and Hallie Magee with nine points. The girls are now 1-6 in Channel League.

This Wednesday, girls basketball travels away to Rio Mesa High School (Frosh is at 4:15 p.m., JV plays at 5:30 p.m., and Varsity goes last at 7 p.m.).

Wrestling (Coach: Anthony Califano):

Last Saturday, Dos Pueblos hosted the CIF Duals Northern Division championship. They beat Royal High School 50-18 in the first match, but lost to Pacifica High 30-29 in the quarterfinals. Pacifica took an early lead of 30-8 and decided to forfeit three of the four remaining rounds but were still able to beat the top-seeded Chargers by one point. DP had beaten Pacifica earlier in December 59-15. DP wrestling ended its season on Saturday.

Girls Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Tuesday, girls water polo lost a Channel League game against cross-town rival San Marcos 6-5. Dos Pueblos led in the fourth quarter 4-2 and Whitney Steidl added one more, but couldn’t keep the lead.

Then on Thursday while at the Southern California Championships, DP beat Agoura 8-7 after having to replay the game because of a technical difficulty with the scoreboard. They also beat the Laguna Beach B squad 11-5. Thea Neushul, Whitney Steidl, Toni Shackelford and Olivia Kistler each had two goals in the Laguna Beach game.

The next day on Friday, the Chargers lost to Newport Harbor 9-1, with Ryann Neushul scoring DP’s only goal.

But on Saturday, they were able to beat Royal again, this time 13-10, and place seventh overall in the championships. Jordan Williams lead the girls with four goals, followed by Grace Heck with three goals and Toni Shackelford with two goals. Earlier on Saturday, DP lost to El Toro 14-7. The Chargers’ win against Royal helped DP’s Ryann Neushul advance to the all-tournament team.

This Tuesday, girls water polo travels away to Ventura High School (Varsity plays at 3:15 p.m. and JV goes at 4:15 p.m.). Then on Thursday, DP defends at home versus Santa Barbara High (Varsity is at 3:15 p.m. and JV plays at 4:15 p.m.)