Sports Round-up: Week of 02/15 to 02/21

Goalie Alex Camarillo scoops up the ball as teammate Emma Trumbull holds off a Long Beach Poly player (Kristen Gowdy/photo)

By Loren Young

Last week, many of Dos Pueblos’ teams competed in CIF. Girls basketball lost in the first round of CIF and are now done with their season. Boys soccer also lost in CIF and finished their season. Girls soccer won their game and moved on in CIF. Three DP wrestlers moved on in CIF to the Masters Meet this weekend. Finally, girls water polo lost their CIF game and are now done with their season.

Spring sports starting this week include boys tennis, baseball and softball, all of which have games this week.

Winter Sports

Girls Basketball (Coach: Phil Sherman):

Last Saturday, Dos Pueblos lost to Cerritos High 62-52 in the first round of CIF Playoffs. Holly Barrera, Amber Belletti, Camila Casanueva and Hallie Magee were DP’s top scorers earning well over ten points each.

The girls are now done with their season.

Girls Soccer (Coach: Hugh Hollis):

Last Thursday, the girls beat Righetti High 5-2 in a CIF matchup. Righetti scored early in the game, but Ady Willett began the Chargers’ attack by scoring one off of a pass from Rachel Uyesaka. Marissa Bonn, Anya Schmitz, Malia Morales, and Kiara Pickett scored the other four goals to help advance the girls in CIF.

“I’m proud and excited to be moving on since we’ve never gone far in CIF and hopefully we’ll keep winning,” said Willett.

This Tuesday, they play home against Cypress High School in the second round of CIF Division 3 Playoffs at 4 p.m.

Boys Soccer (Coach: Matt York):

Last Friday, boys soccer lost to Los Alamitos High 1-0 in the CIF Division 1 Playoff opener. Goalie Alex Mathews did all he could to stop Los Alamitos from scoring, blocking multiple penalty kicks, although the visitors were able to head in a goal and win the game.

“Los Alamitos was decent and they played hard. I’m still proud that we played hard, but it just didn’t go our way. I was nervous and kind of nauseous before the game. I was worrying that it could be my last game, but then I said to myself that I should just play hard and it’s better to leave it out on the field,” said Mathews.

The Chargers end their season 11-7-5 and as Channel League champions.

Wrestling (Coach: Anthony Califano):

Last Saturday at Grand Terrace High School, Cameron Cox won a CIF Southern Section title while Jonathon Coronado and Jeff Uyesaka both qualified for the Masters Meet this weekend. Cox won three matches Friday and two on Saturday in the semifinals of the 132-pound division.

“[Winning the CIF-SS title] feels like I’m in a dream,” said Cox. “I’m excited and it’s something that’s always been my goal since freshman year. It’s nice to be moving on in CIF. Now I’ll have better draws and have an easy road to state.”

Coronado finished fourth on Saturday in the 160-pound division, also in the semifinals. Uyesaka also qualified by winning two key matches on Saturday in the consolation round to place fifth. The thirteen-man team placed 10th overall at the meet.

This Friday and Saturday, Cox, Coronado and Uyesaka will travel to the Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario to compete in the CIF Masters Meet.

Girls Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Wednesday, Dos Pueblos lost to Los Alamitos High 9-8 in the first round of CIF Division 1 Playoffs. Olivia Kistler, Ryann Neushul and Toni Shackelford all scored two points each in the fourth quarter to tie the game, but Los Alamitos made a buzzer shot to move on in CIF.

Spring Sports

Boys Tennis (Coach: Liz Frech):

This Monday, JV boys play home versus Bishop High at 3:15 p.m. Then on Thursday, varsity goes up against Thousand Oaks High at 2:30 p.m. Finally on Friday, the Chargers travel away to play Oxnard High (both varsity and JV start at 2:30 p.m.).

Baseball (Coach: Nick Katzenstein):

This Saturday, varsity baseball plays home against Newbury Park at 11 a.m. in the Easton Tournament. Also on Saturday, the JV team travels away to play Newbury Park in the Easton Tournament at 11 a.m.

Softball (Coach: Jon Uyesaka):

This Saturday, JV girls softball plays away at the Camarillo JV tournament.