Sports Round-up: Week of 02/22 to 02/28

By Loren Young

(Photo courtesy of Nick Katzer)

Athlete competing at the informal Track and Field intrasquad event on Saturday (Photo courtesy of Nick Katzer)

Last week, Dos Pueblos’ girls soccer team and three wrestlers competed in CIF, while some spring sports started their seasons. The girls lost to Cypress High in the second round of CIF playoffs. DP wrestler Cameron Cox moved on to the State Meet next weekend.

Boys tennis won against Thousand Oaks in a non-league match. Baseball lost a close game to Newbury Park. Spring sports starting this week include boys volleyball, softball, lacrosse, track and field, swim and dive, and boys golf.

Winter Sports

Girls Soccer (Coach: Hugh Hollis):

Last Tuesday, Dos Pueblos lost to Cypress High 4-2 in the second round of CIF playoffs for Division 3. Cypress lead 2-1 at halftime, but DP’s Kiara Pickett scored by making a tough-angled shot into the far side of Cypress’ goal. DP also tied the game 3-3 later in the game, but it was waived because of an offsides call. Ady Willett scored DP’s first goal.

The girls are now done with their season.

Wrestling (Coach: Anthony Califano):

Last Friday and Saturday, DP senior Cameron Cox qualified for his first CIF State Meet by advancing to the semifinals round on Saturday in the 132-pound division. Cox was able to beat his first opponent 11-7 in the quarterfinals and battled one more in the semifinals, guaranteeing his spot in the State Meet in Bakersfield this weekend. He is DP’s first state qualifier since 2010.

“It’s good [to be moving on] since this is my first time going to State. It’s also cool that I’m the first DP wrestler to move on in four or five years. But I still have work to do and I don’t want to get too happy too soon,” said Cox.

Jeff Uyesaka and Jonathon Coronado, both of whom also competed last weekend, didn’t advance after Friday’s round but still ended their seasons as Channel League champions.

Spring Sports

Boys Tennis (Coach: Liz Frech):

Last Thursday, the Chargers beat Thousand Oaks High 10-8 in a non-league match thanks to some strong doubles performances. Miles Baldwin/Vincent Villano and Mason Dochterman/Bryce Ambrose lead with 3-0 scores each, helping DP win seven of nine doubles sets. Patrick Corpuz also won all of his matches in singles, going 3-0 for the day.

“I think everyone played a solid game and everyone played well and hopefully we’ll get better. We lost a lot of seniors last year so it’s definitely a different team and different atmosphere, but we’ll play as best as we can in tennis,” said Dochterman.

This Thursday, the boys travel away to Campbell Hall in Weddington for a match starting at 3 p.m. Then on Friday, they stay home to play Westlake High at 2:30 p.m.

Baseball (Coach: Nick Katzenstein):

Last Saturday, baseball opened up their season, losing 8-7 to Newbury Park at home. Newbury Park lead 7-1 for the first four innings, but DP began their comeback in the fifth inning by adding one point to their score. Then in the seventh inning, the Chargers had five runs with Jesse Speier having three runs followed by Dustin Demeter and Gio Macias with two runs each.

This Tuesday, varsity plays away against Chatsworth High in the second game of the Easton Tournament starting at 3 p.m. while JV stays home to play Chatsworth at 3:15 p.m. in the Easton Tournament. Then on Thursday, they play in the third game of the Easton Tournament at 3 p.m. with the location to be determined at a later date. Finally on Saturday, the team plays in their fourth game of the Easton Tournament at 11 a.m. with the location also to be determined at a later date.

Boys Volleyball (Coach: Ehren Hug):

This Tuesday, the Chargers play away at Newbury Park (FR starts at 4 p.m. followed by JV at 5 p.m. and varsity at 6 p.m.). Then on Wednesday, they stay home to play Westlake High (FR begins at 4 p.m. with JV going at 5 p.m. and varsity playing at 6 p.m.). A few days later on Friday, the team goes up against Royal High (FR opens at 4 p.m. with JV after at 5 p.m. and varsity wrapping up at 6 p.m.). Finally, Frosh plays away at the Burbank Frosh Tournament at 8 a.m. on Saturday.

Softball (Coach: Jon Uyesaka):

This Wednesday, softball plays away at the Pac View Tournament in Camarillo with games starting at 3:30 p.m. Then on Saturday, varsity goes to the Manlet Tournament in Simi Valley and JV also travels away for the Camarillo JV Tournament.

Lacrosse (Coach: Jeff Sears):

This Thursday, DP plays home against cross-town rival Santa Barbara High with boys starting at 5 p.m. and girls competing at 7 p.m.

Track and Field (Coach: Chris Mollkoy):

This Saturday, the team travels away to Moorpark High school to compete in the Don Green Invitational Track Meet starting at 8:30 a.m.

Swim/Dive (Coach: Chris Parrish/Stephanie Henderson):

This Friday, swim/dive go away to Santa Barbara High to compete in the Channel League Relays at 2 p.m.

Boys Golf (Coach: Dave DeHaras):

This Tuesday, boys golf stays home at the Glen Annie Golf Course to play Lompoc High starting at 1 p.m. Then on Thursday, they travel away to Olives Park to go against St. Bonaventura High at 3 p.m. Finally, on Friday, the team goes away to play Santa Ynez High at the Alisal Ranch at 1 p.m.