Sports Round-up: Week of 03/01 to 03/07

By Loren Young

Senior Ian Wasjutin competing in the Don Green Invitational in Moorpark (Photo / Michael Aling)

Last week, Dos Pueblos entered the spring sports season with many losses. Baseball lost two games to Chatsworth and Taft High Schools. Boys volleyball lost to Newbury Park, but beat Royal High a few days later. Softball lost to Camarillo High while lacrosse, now a sport in CIF, lost to Santa Barbara High. Track and Field had a few medal winners in their first invitational of the season. Boys tennis lost to Campbell Hall, whereas boys golf beat Saint Bonaventure on a higher note.

Baseball (Coach: Nick Katzenstein):

Last Thursday, the Chargers lost to Chatsworth 8-1. The game was tied 1-1 in the top of the sixth inning, but Chatsworth had seven athletes run to home plate later in the sixth inning. DP’s Gio Macias was the lone Charger scorer, going 2-2.

Then on Thursday in an Easton Tournament game, baseball lost 5-4 against Taft. DP lead 1-0 in the fifth inning, but Taft was able to gain five runs in the bottom of the fifth. The Chargers scored three runs in the top of the sixth, but couldn’t come back to win the game. Luke Coffey, Dustin Demeter, Gio Macias and Quinn Peacock ran home for DP’s score.

Boys Volleyball (Coach: Ehren Hug):

Last Tuesday, boys volleyball lost to Newbury Park, going 25-19, 25-22 and 25-18. Middle blocker Elliot Brainerd lead the team with eight kills, two blocks and an ace while Mark Raphael added 26 assists and three blocks.

Then on Friday, they beat Royal High 15-13 in the fifth set on a non-league match. DP was behind 11-7 in the fifth set but made a comeback after Will Parker, Raphael and Brainerd worked together to make a kill. Eli Wopat was also a team-high with 21 kills and four blocks while Jack Burns added 10 kills.

Softball (Coach: Jon Uyesaka):

Last Wednesday, DP lost to Camarillo 2-0 in their season opener. Lani Evans pitched a complete game with only four hits, but Camarillo was able to gain a 1-0 lead by the fourth inning and increased it to 2-0 to win the game.

Then on Saturday in the Simi Valley Tournament, softball lost to Agoura 1-0 but shut out Oak Park 2-0 to win their first game.

Lacrosse (Coach: Jeff Sears):

Last Thursday, boys JV lost 7-6 to SB. SB lead into the fourth quarter and DP came back to tie the score at 6-6 but was unable to get in another run. Girls lacrosse also lost to SB in a 6-4 game. This is the first year that lacrosse has been administered as a CIF-sanctioned sport.

“It was a rough game. We didn’t have a full team since we were missing some of our players, but hopefully next game we can beat them,” said Andy Witt, one of the lacrosse team’s returning players from last year. “It’s still really exciting that lacrosse is a CIF sport now and hopefully [lacrosse] will continue to go further as a sport.”

Track/Field (Coach: Chris Mollkoy):

Last Saturday, the team travelled to Moorpark High School to compete in the Don Green Invitational with all of the following winning medals:

Junior/Senior Division:

• Dan Nofrey: 1st in Boys High Jump, 6’-3”
  • Sophia Janotti: 2nd in Girls Long Jump, 16’-10”; 2nd in Girls Triple Jump, 33’-2”
  • Kevin Nguyen: 2nd in Boys Triple Jump, 39”-9’
  • Carmen Villarruel: 3rd in Girls Pole Vault, 10’-0”
  • DJ Sharpe: 3rd in Boys Long Jump, 20’-1”; 3rd in Boys Triple Jump, 38’-10.25”

Frosh/Sophomore Division:

• Hunter Clark: 1st in Boys 3200, 10:01.02
  • Christina Rice: 1st in Girls 3200, 11:56.18
  • Amber Belletti: 2nd in Girls Shot Put, 35’-3”
  • Spencer Kemmerer: 2nd in Boys High Jump, 5′-10″
  • Samantha Vickers: 3rd in Girls High Jump, 4’-10”
  • Girls 4×400 Relay: 3rd, 4:30.00

“I personally don’t think I did that well, and I have a lot of room for improvement,” said Villaruel. “At first I wasn’t so sure that we’d do so well [as a team] this year, but after seeing a few of the races, I think that we’re going to have a pretty strong one and some pretty good people in some of the events.”

Boys Tennis (Coach: Liz Frech):

Last Thursday, DP lost to Campbell Hall 10-8. Patrick Corpuz lead the Chargers in singles scoring 6-4, 6-4 and 6-2. Myles Baldwin also won two of three singles with Quinn Hensley and Vincent Villano winning two of their sets together in doubles.

Boys Golf (Coach: Dave DeHaras):

Last Thursday, golf beat Saint Bonaventura 215-237 at the Olivas Links golf course. Daniel Cheung lead the Chargers with a low score of 42, followed by Conrad Kuklinksy, Mikha Benedictus and Peter La Mantia with scores of 43 each. DP improves to 2-0 this season. Logan Hall scored 44 and Dylan Darga scored 48.