Movie Review: “American Sniper”

By Mackenzie Austin

Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle in "American Sniper" (photo courtesy of www.americansnipermovie.com)

Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle in “American Sniper” (photo courtesy of www.americansnipermovie.com)

People all over the country are raving about the movie “American Sniper.” Theaters were flooded with men and women with tears in their eyes because of the heart-wrenching true story of Chris Kyle. Kyle was given the nickname “The Legend” when he killed 160 people in the most recent war in Iraq and became the deadliest sniper in U.S. history.

The movie was full of emotions that ran the whole spectrum. There were lighter parts in the movie when he was with his friends that brought laughter, like when they teased each other and made fun of each other when they were deployed.

The audience was also filled with anxiety when Kyle was preparing to shoot someone that was a threat to the American troops. It made everyone feel all the pressure that he had upon himself.

At the end of the movie men and women were crying. During the course of the film, the audience develops an emotional connection with Chris Kyle. Personally, this movie hit home for me because my dad is a Marine and he has been deployed to three different wars. Families who also have a member that is a part of the military will have a connection with this film.

The acting and graphics were very strong. The only downfall of this movie is that the baby that was originally going to play Kyle’s baby got sick on the first day of filming so they had to use a fake baby doll. They tried to make the baby move its arm and the baby looked like a robot. The baby’s arm moved very slowly and stiffly, and the baby’s face looked like a baby doll. It had no emotion and no movement other than when it moved its arm that one time.

Chris Kyle grew up in Texas and decided to join the Navy SEALs because he saw the Twin Towers collapse on Sept. 11, 2001. While he was in training he fell in love and got married. This movie shows the struggle of being a military family, dealing with deployments and the effects that it has on the soldiers when they get back home. As a person from a military family, it accurately depicts the struggles for the family and on the soldiers. All the conversations that they had are what most families with a military member would have and having limited time to talk to them and the worry of them getting hurt or dying.

By the end of the movie everyone had fallen in love with the American Sniper, Chris Kyle. The whole theater was speechless by the end. A few people clapped but most just took it all in. “American Sniper” is the movie to see and is worth every penny.