Behind The Curtains: DP Theatre Company

The Dos Pueblos Theatre Company dancing and performing in the play 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.

Photo credit: Kiana Sinaki

Photo credit: Kiana Sinaki

By Gemma Sturgeon, Author

To some, theatre may seem like simply singing and dancing on a stage, but the dedicated teenagers who put long hours into making a spectacular performance would beg to differ.

The most recent play the Dos Pueblos (DP) Theatre Company put on in November was called The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee which was about six spelling bee participants who have quirky and unique personalities.

“All of the characters have different story lines that you kind of get to know throughout the spelling bee,” said senior Lylah Ehrnstein.

The process of preparing for a role varies from person to person.

“I think about the background of the character, and who they are,” Ehrnstein said. “Especially with this play because you don’t get to see them [the characters] at home.”

Senior Riva Brody has a different approach and said she “really tried to inhabit the little kid mindset,” which was not that hard because she said she is easily excitable and energetic.

Working so hard on a show does not get as much recognition as Brody would hope.

“Sometimes you work really hard on a show, and then nobody comes,” Brody said. “And you think ‘wow that was all for nothing.” Then she realizes it was not really for nothing, because with each show she learns something new as an actress and has a good experience.

To Brody, the stereotype of theatre as a nerdy activity means it does not receive the appreciation it deserves.

Ehrnstein believes that the effort and dedication put into a show can sometimes be underestimated, especially since the performers all learn and practice difficult choreography for two months, as well as learn lines.

“In our society sports are seen as superior to art in all forms, not just theatre,” she said.

Sophomore Nolan Montgomery reflects on his experiences in theatre and shares that the first show he ever acted in was when he was five and was so scared to be in it. Initially, he asked for a small role, but ended up getting a major role. “I actually really like being an outgoing person and performing for audiences,” he said.

Montgomery shares that being a male in theatre can be difficult.

“In society guys are thought to be tough and do sports and participate in athletic activities in school,” he said. When people hear that he sings and dances around a stage, it can cause them to make immediate judgements.

Junior Kyle O’Gorman believes a lot of people in society prioritize sports before everything else, and people assume that theatre is merely singing and dancing around and involves nothing difficult.

“When you actually do a show here at DP, you realize how much effort gets put into it to create something so amazing,” said O’Gorman.

O’Gorman considers theatre to be a big family for him and his castmates.

Theatre is not only a hobby for students such as Brody, but has always been a way to become more confident and believe in herself. She has never experienced a fear of public speaking because of her passion for theatre.

“I’ve always loved theatre since I was younger,I think it’s always been important to me,” she said.