The “Improved” Seminar

Photo credit: Amanda Jo Soderman

Photo credit: Amanda Jo Soderman

By Sam Walker, Staff Writer

I furiously look through my social media, trying to get as much in before my teacher forces me to hand over my phone. Seminar at Dos Pueblos High School is meant to give students a designated time to make up work or get ahead in their classes.

Although this sounds like a good concept, students at DP don’t always use their time in seminar efficiently. Instead, they spend time on their phones or talk with their friends rather than taking advantage of the work time.

Many kids wonder why they are being forced into these unproductive environments when they are maintaining good grades and are not behind on their work.

As opposed to forcing kids to attend seminar and sit for forty minutes with nothing productive to do, we should use this time to reward kids who are maintaining good grades with an extra forty minutes of lunch twice a week.

If students who are maintaining all A’s, B’s, and C’s are given an extended lunch, it would give the students who need help more available resources. Teachers would be able to assist students with lower grades rather than “babysitting” other students.

This will make a lower teacher to student ratio and kids who are struggling will have more of an incentive to work hard. The Center for Education did a study on class size and came to the conclusion that “A class size of no more than 18 students per teacher is required to produce the greatest benefits.”

It will also reward those who are working hard and motivate them to keep their good grades. The extended lunch/seminar will continue to be a time where students can go in and makeup work but won’t be forced to sit in a classroom if they have nothing to work on.

The lack of time at lunch forces kids to eat whatever is quick and easy, and in most cases that leads to an unhealthy meal. The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics conducted a study on how longer lunches will help better students’ nutrition, they concluded “During the school year, a substantial number of students had insufficient time to eat, which was associated with significantly decreased entrée, milk, and vegetable consumption compared with students who had more time to eat.”

This study shows that this concept of longer lunches can help kids with their overall health while improving their grades.

Rewarding students with an extended lunch for maintaining good grades will not only help them try to keep those grades but also give students who are struggling more of an incentive to work hard and improve their grades.   

1 Comment

One Response to “The “Improved” Seminar”

1. its anonymous on February 25th, 2017 10:23 PM

YES THIS IS EVERYTHING IDK WHY THE SCHOOL HASNT FOLLOWED THIS IDEA

[Reply]

• The “Improved” Seminar

Opinion

SAT/ACT Scores: Are They Worth The Stress?

• Opinion

Letter to the Editor

• Opinion

Spam Accounts Express User’s True Selves

• Opinion

Spam Accounts Promote Unhealthy Behavior in Teens

• The “Improved” Seminar

Opinion

Are Spam Accounts Worth the Risk?

• The “Improved” Seminar

Disney Shatters Body Image Stereotypes with “Moana”

• The “Improved” Seminar

Opinion

Recovery

• The “Improved” Seminar

Opinion

Inside the November 9th Walkout

• The “Improved” Seminar

Opinion

Students Need More Sleep

• Features

Senior Opinion

The “Improved” Seminar