Students Protest Trump’s Orders

Dos Pueblos students gathering to protest the travel ban on seven Muslim-majority countries and the construction of the wall near the Mexican border.

Photo credit: Maya Al Sabeh

Photo credit: Maya Al Sabeh

By Maya Al Sabeh, Feature Editor

The rain in Santa Barbara did not prevent Dos Pueblos High School students from showing their compassion and support for those affected by President Trump’s recent executive orders. A student-led group gathered in the meadow to protest the travel ban on seven Muslim-majority countries and the construction of the wall near the Mexican border.

On Friday February 2nd at 12:25 p.m., student ralliers marched out to the Dos Pueblos sign and made their support known to residents around the area, carrying signs that read “No Ban, No Wall” and “Fight Ignorance, Not Immigrants.” The group took the opportunity to share their stories and thoughts about how they as students can move this country forward, despite the challenges that have been inflicted by President Trump.

“I advise everyone to get involved,” said senior Lola Macy. “Social media is a great way to reach out and communicate with other people who are also passionate about these issues around their high school or even just students in our age group”.

Ashton Melendez, the first to propose having the rally, planned and organized the event a week in advance. The event was originally planned as a walk-out, but after discussing the idea with a number of student activists it was decided that a lunchtime rally would be more convenient for the students and the school.

A series of Instagram posts was used to encourage students to come out and spread their voice. Melendez volunteered her time and extra supplies to other ralliers, giving them the chance to make signs for the rally.

“I felt it was important because one of the main issues we were addressing was that teens don’t feel like they have a voice,” Melendez said.“Making signs meant that each student had a chance to express their own a voice and opinion.”

Shocked and heartbroken by the severity of Trump’s orders, she became concerned about the way that other countries will begin to view the U.S.

“It’s obvious that other countries are beginning to look down on us already,” Melendez said “England has been having protests against even inviting him to their country. The U.S. has always been a dominant country in world politics, but now we are starting to shrink, because we as a country can not be taken seriously with the President that we have.”

Administrators and school officials have allowed the students to continue protesting such issues on campus and acknowledge that the students have the freedom to do so. Student organizers hope that more high school students will be comfortable in participating in such events and voicing their support for those negatively impacted by the President’s policies.