Art Scholarships: A Breakthrough for Students

Larissa+Landero%27s+%2812%29+winning+photograph+featuring+a+parking+lot+in+Zacatecas+Mexico.+
Larissa Landero's (12) winning photograph featuring a parking lot in Zacatecas Mexico.

Photo credit: Larissa Landero

Photo credit: Larissa Landero

By Nicky Monreal, Staff Writer

Kevin Gleason, Dos Pueblos High School teacher of freehand drawing and Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate visual art encourages students each year to further their artistic ambitions by entering the Santa Barbara Scholarship Foundation’s contest.

“There’s the regular scholarship foundation scholarships and they felt like it’s really important to recognize students who are going into the arts,” Gleason said. “So they have a whole separate group of scholarships for art students and the only requirement is that you have to be a graduating senior whose going to college and pursuing an art-related career.”

The students submit four of their best art pieces and for each student who wins they display one piece of their art at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art, an impressive achievement.

“I think it means a lot to the students, one thing it does is that it confirms for them that this is something that they do really have a talent and ability in, and that they can make a living out of it. Sometimes artists doubt themselves and it just reaffirms: yes, you really do have the skill and it’s something you should pursue,” Gleason said.   

DP Senior Larissa Landeros is one of the students who was chosen to receive an art scholarship from the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara. Landeros’ winning photograph featured a parking lot in Zacatecas, Mexico, where she goes to visit her family.

“My picture really showcases the environment of Mexico with the bright colors and just how unique every place is,” Landeros said. “When I found out I won it felt really great to know that professional artists see potential in me and believe in my abilities”.

She was not expecting to win considering she, “knew there were many other very talented artists going into the competition,” but was pleasantly surprised when she found out she won.

“It made me happy to find out that my art is worth something and that I could go farther,” Landeros said. “It’s been a big confidence boost.”

DP senior Raven Condron received the art scholarship for her painting. The intricate multimedia artwork, inspired by ribbons and twisting designs, is filled with unique shapes and patterns.

“I think what made my piece stand out how tedious the background was,” said Condron, who worked tirelessly for a week to meet the deadline.

“I had to rush it so I stayed up super late every day trying to trying to finish it.” she said.

Not only is Condron celebrating her own victory, but also those of her friends.
She explains that when she found out she won she felt, “pretty excited because I didn’t expect to win at all considering how many other art pieces there were, it was cool because I entered with two of my friends and they both won too.”

Raven Condron’s (12) winning mixed media painting.