DP Students Gear up For a Season at the Santa Barbara Bowl

The+Santa+Barbara+Bowl+hosted+The+1975+in+April+of+2016+which%2C+among+high+school+students%2C+was+one+of+the+most+anticipated+shows+of+last+year%27s+concert+season.+
The Santa Barbara Bowl hosted The 1975 in April of 2016 which, among high school students, was one of the most anticipated shows of last year's concert season.

Photo credit: Jaden Gill

Photo credit: Jaden Gill

By Jaden Gill, Managing Editor

Showing up to school with under-eye bags, mountains of unfinished homework, and little or no sleep is not the ideal situation, but for junior Maggie Knauss, mornings like these are a small price to pay for the life-altering nights before.

“I’ll go to a concert and it’ll go so late that I’ll just pass out at a friends house” said Knauss. “It would be rough waking up the next day, but seeing the bands is always worth it.”

With the Santa Barbara Bowl concert season quickly approaching, talk of the upcoming performers is all the buzz for Dos Pueblos students who look forward to seeing their favorite artists at their home town venue.

“So far I’ve seen Aerosmith, Incubus, Blink 182, All American Rejects, Weezer, and Panic! At the Disco,” Knauss said. “I love being in the pit, you get so close and get to experience every part of the show.”

As the years have progressed, the venue began catering to all ages rather than exclusively featuring artists of older generations. The spring/summer schedule currently hosts bands for younger age groups, such as previous performers, The 1975, Walk the Moon, and Blink 182. 

Kicking off the shows in early April is Sigur Ros and Radiohead, followed by Two Door Cinema Club and Grouplove on April 14th, but for high school concert-goers, Rebelution, Young the Giant, John Legend, Travis Scott, and Glass Animals, seem to be the most highly anticipated shows.

Katelyn Myers, lead singer of Stolen Thunder and DP junior, made sure she got her hands on tickets for one of this summer’s performances.

“I’m planning on seeing Rebelution in June which should be really fun” she said. “The SB Bowl is beautiful and Rebelution is such a cool band, I just love their music.”

The Santa Barbara Bowl offers an opportunity for students to enjoy a concert in their hometown, while avoiding the traffic and late night that follows drives to Los Angeles or Ventura where the more common venues are.

“Most towns in North America don’t have a venue of the caliber of the SB Bowl,” said Moss Jacobs, Senior Vice President of Goldenvoice. “Young people must drive, or be driven, long distances to see the type of touring artists we have in Santa Barbara each season. I’m not sure if people realize how special it is to have that right here in town.”

Attendees also tend to rave about the all-inclusive, intimate atmosphere of The Santa Barbara Bowl, a surprising hallmark for a 4,500+ amphitheater.

“It’s pretty close up, so even at the back it feels like you’re right there as opposed to some bigger venues where you can’t even see the artists,” Knauss said. “Everyone who works there is so friendly and the artists seem like they enjoy playing here, the show feels better when everyone’s having a good time.”

It’s obvious in the Santa Barbara community that “The Bowl” is much more than a venue. From underwriting program diversity in the fields of art, music, drama and dance, to providing arts education for children attending local schools, colleges, and universities, the Santa Barbara Bowl Foundation makes youth outreach a priority.

Supporting education through the arts, along with its “absence of overt commercialism and over-the-top sponsorship,” that Jacobs describes, gives The Santa Barbara Bowl a unique and impressive reputation in the live concert world.

For teenagers, the convenience and distinct trademarks of Santa Barbara’s most acclaimed concert venue only adds to the unforgettable experiences that have been had there.

“Music is uplifting, healing, and thought provoking” said Jacobs. “Seeing and feeling it live, in person, can enhance all those things.”