And they [were] all yellow

Todd Borden | Guest opinion | August 22, 2011

Look at the stars, look how they shine for you, and they [were] all yellow

I remember my first DP football game in 1975; I was awed by the team as they ran out onto the field in their navy blue jerseys and yellow helmets. Earlier, I remember watching my next-door neighbor, Richard Stein, help lead the school to its first CIF championship in basketball in 1971 in his navy and yellow uniform. Somewhat later, I remember meeting my wife at the DP vs. Santa Barbara High game (when Randall Cunningham single-handedly beat us on  a two-point conversion as the gun sounded—but that’s another story) as DP and its yellow helmets competed against SBHS and their gold helmets. Since I’ve been a teacher at this school, I remember watching DP play San Luis Obispo in the CIF football finals in 2002 in their yellow helmets. And, of course, I remember my own navy and yellow baseball uniform and bright yellow varsity letter.

So it was a surprise to me when DP changed its schools colors to navy and gold in 2007. I was told something about how DP originally had gold helmets in the late 1960s, and how DP’s colors were intended to be the gold of Santa Barbara High and the blue of San Marcos. But these were not the colors that I had grown up admiring since I was a child, nor were these the colors that I wore proudly as a student-athlete. For these reasons, and dozens more, I would love to see DP return to the familiar and long-standing navy and yellow again.

Mr. Borden in his navy and Yellow! Charger Baseball jersey. (photo courtesy of Todd Borden)

I’ve heard it said that the DP’s Notre Dame-style football uniforms are popular with some people. But when I see a picture of our football team in the newspaper, I can’t tell if I’m looking at the Chargers, or the Santa Barbara Dons, or the St. Bonaventure “we-recruit-every-good-player-that-doesn’t-attend-Oaks Christian” team.

And what is so iconic about the all-too-common gold helmet anyway? Sure Notre Dame is famous for their golden domes, but wait, is that Notre Dame, or Navy, or Purdue, or Boston College, or Baylor, or Colorado, or Pittsburgh, or South Florida, or UCLA, or Washington, or Wake Forest, or Vanderbilt? Hold on while I Google ESPN’s “Uniform Watch.”

But when LSU or the Green Bay Packers take the field, there is no confusion what-so-ever. Talk about instantly recognizable uniforms!

And there’s another problem. Even if you persist in your belief that DP’s University of Pittsburgh-clone football uniform is clearly superior and recognizable than their former LSU or Green Bay-style, you must admit that the gold color of the football helmet does not translate well to the fabric of the uniforms of the other athletic teams that DP fields. The other teams look like they are now wearing navy and light-brown. The t-shirts and banners that support the athletic teams look dingy and washed-out compared to the former vivid yellow. That bright yellow tip-off circle in middle of the gym? Ignore that; we’ll get around to painting it beige one of these years. The helmet car that Chip Foose created to honor his sister— it doesn’t match the current helmets, but who cares—it’s so last century.

I say bring back the yellow helmets that I watched Dan Daly wear as he scored five touchdowns against San Marcos in 1977. If not, at least compromise; UCLA also wears gold helmets for football, but yellow for every other sport (think of their iconic basketball uniforms). If we did this, at the very least we could banish the navy and dingy light-brown.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “And they [were] all yellow”

1. Nancy Peterson on September 1st, 2011 7:51 AM

I totally agree with you! I too went to DP in the 70’s and have wondered all along what happened to the traditional DP colors. There is one other issue that I have often wondered about, why are there soooo many different logo’s for the school? I thought each school has or should have one or two logos that they use for all things. DP please bring back the knight on the horse and the interlocked DP as your two main logos!

[Reply]

2. Steve McDougall on September 11th, 2011 7:37 AM

I also agree. This idea that we have to back to the gold because of some “tradition” that the DP’s colors came from Santa Barbara High’s gold, and San Marcos High’s blue is stupid for two reasons. First, that “tradition” lasted about five minutes before DP went to yellow. And second, if we use that logic, shouldn’t DP’s blue be royal blue. Wow, that would make the colors even uglier. Yuch, google the University of Tulsa football uniforms, they have colors like that and you won’t be impressed. Come on, it’s pretty clear that DP’s real tradition lies with the navy blue and yellow that we used for 40 years–that’s tradition!

[Reply]

3. Taylor Racich on September 14th, 2011 10:44 PM

I know that the yellow may feel like it is fading away on the field because of the gold helmet car or the gold circle in the gym but have you forgot about our yellow men in the gold mine:) All I know is on our volleyball warm up cd we still remain spirited through our song blue and yellow…..blue and yellow….not blue and gold….. which I think is a good sign that people still know our school colors are blue and yellow.

[Reply]

• And they [were] all yellow

Guest Opinion

IB vs. AAPLE

• And they [were] all yellow

Features

With pride, I call myself a band geek

• Guest Opinion

Guest Opinion: The purpose of taking the PSAT

• College Admissions

Guest Opinion: Changing demographics among college students

• And they [were] all yellow

Guest Opinion

The benefits of sports for girls

• And they [were] all yellow

Guest Opinion

DP: from “Hippy High” to academic and athletic success

• And they [were] all yellow

Guest Opinion

SOPA: right problem, wrong solution

• Guest Opinion

Guest Opinion: Khan Academy is a game changer for education

• And they [were] all yellow

Guest Opinion

The advantages of a liberal arts college in a research university

• And they [were] all yellow

College Admissions

Seniors, choose your college wisely

And they [were] all yellow