Chargers hope there’s only room for one team on top of Channel League

By Kristen Gowdy

Freshman Emma Bushnell and Sophomore Hanna Nolan hope to add depth to the Charger lineup. (Kristen Gowdy/Photo)

By Kristen Gowdy | Sports Editor | September 1, 2011

For the 2011 girls golf team, sharing is NOT caring.

Last year, in a heated Channel League finale, they forced the Santa Barbara Dons to split the league title. This year however, the Chargers are looking for an outright championship instead of a tie with their archrivals.

“Both [DP and SB] graduated some key players,” says Dos Pueblos coach Rob Schiff, “but both teams are also returning some important players. It is very likely that we will be at around the same level with them this year.”

For Coach Schiff, there is no doubt that the Dons are the teams’ biggest rivals. But unlike last season, Schiff and his co-coach Dan Choi have a young team on their hands.

“Compared to last year, we’re a bit younger and less experienced,” admits Schiff, “we don’t have as much proven talent, but we have potential and are working extremely hard to improve.”

One player that has certainly proven herself is senior Vanesa Villa. Last year, she not only shot a 39 in the final face off against the Dons, but she also went on to win the individual Channel League championship.

Another key returner is Bekah Beveridge who also had a big impact on the Channel League champion Chargers last year. She shot a 46 in the championship match, and helped Dos Pueblos to a victory over the Dons.

Entering his fifth year as the head coach at DP, Coach Schiff knows that he has a lot of work to do with his young team. But he knows that all the hard work will pay off in the long run.

“I’m excited to see what we can become this season,” says Schiff. The girls kicked off their season by losing a close match to Valencia. They were led by Beveridge and sophomore Hanna Nolan, who each shot a 49.

They continue pre-league play with their first home match on Thursday, Sept. 1 at Glen Annie Golf Club.