DP Band The Caverns Shine at Rockstock 2013

By Alec Klein

1384149_227396607418562_12510155_n

By Alec Klein| Staff Writer

October 28, 2013

The Caverns, a band of Dos Pueblos High School students, opened for Rebelution at Rockstock 2013 Saturday the 19th at the Dos Pueblos Ranch.

As the sun went down the talent rose. The Caverns opened their show with a Led Zeppelin song “Dazed and Confused” grabbing the attention of the crowd. They performed six covers from artists such as Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac and Carlos Santana. They even played an original, “Abandoned House.” For this tune they switched instruments and rocked without hesitation. The crowd grew to favor the skill they brought to the stage and demanded an encore from our chargers!

Following their completely graceful performances, Local Music Supporter and Producer Chris Pelonis came up on stage afterward, grabbed the mic and shouted, “We just saw history in the making!” followed by a short speech of how this band had talent.

The Caverns are a Classic Rock band built of three teenagers: Maxton Schulte, a junior at Dos Pueblos High School, Alyssa Davey, a senior at Dos Pueblos High School, and Sam Kulchi, a freshman at Santa Barbara City College.

“We’re all very comfortable as band mates. We’re best friends, practically sibling-like, so we’re around each other a lot.” said Shulte in regards to his fellow band members. Shulte went on, “When we first started we were just an improv. jam band, but over time everything evolved more and more. Now we have 3 hours worth of material. Including our jamming — our playing in general becomes more creative the more we practice and the more we simply play shows,” said Shulte.

The Caverns have been a band for about two years, but started gigging this past year.

1391707_571994549516579_1046431639_n

The Caverns amaze the crowd at Rockstock 2013 (Photo / Lena Pousette)

“Our goal at the moment is to build a bigger following and become popular in SB and local cities. We’ve been promoting our name and shows a ton and we’ve gotten lots of attention, especially with our busy schedule of an average of 2 to 3 shows a week,” said the Caverns. “We’ll be starting the recording of our debut EP around January or February and that’s a big part of the next step as a band — more originals. We only have 2 so far. Anyway,… we plan on doing this for as long as we can.”

Rockstock 2013 isn’t the first gig the Caverns have landed since they’ve been local rockstars. They have been all around the county in mainly breweries. The Caverns have been through SLO, Buellton, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Santa Maria, and Solvang, at venues like SLO’s Creeky Tiki, Buellton’s Fig Mountain, The Tavern in Ventura, and a lot more. “Our main venue, our favorite as well, is SB’s Figueroa Mountain Brewery down in the Funk Zone. We have a residency there so we’re there every Saturday from 5-8pm except for October 19th” said Shulte.

If you haven’t yet heard of The Caverns, be sure to check them out on Facebook so you can listen to their music and stay updated on their upcoming events. The Caverns will be playing  this Friday at Buellton’s Fig Mountain Brewery then SB’s Fig Mountain Brewery on Saturday, November 2nd.

1 Comment

One Response to “DP Band The Caverns Shine at Rockstock 2013”

1. Brooklyn Godin on February 20th, 2014 9:40 PM

The Caverns are fantastic! It was my first time at SB’s Figueroa Mountain Brewery down in the Funk Zone and y’all made it a memorable first. Thank you for the amazing classic rock experience:) Best wishes! Brooklyn

[Reply]

• DP Band The Caverns Shine at Rockstock 2013

“It” Proves To Be Both Horrifying and Heartwarming

“13 Reasons Why” Sets an Example for Impressionable Teens

Radiohead Leaves Santa Barbara “Daydreaming”

Ed Sheeran Stays True to His Roots with Release of ‘Divide’

Regina Spektor Elevates Spirits Through Powerful Simplicity

DP Media Joins Red Carpet Guests for the 2017 SBIFF

La La Land: A Reemergence of Musical Film

Art Scholarships: A Breakthrough for Students

Channelkeeper Student Art Show: Celebrating Water with Art

Charged: A Story of How Positivity Can Tackle Even the Worst of Times