1-2 De ja Vu for Cross Country Teams

By Lennie Nelson

Lennie Nelson | Staff Writer

October 21st, 2013

Same location. Same result. The Cross Country teams won 3 out of 4 races on the Dos Pueblos course for the second time in a month. A mulch fire in Ventura forced the relocation of the 2nd Channel League cluster meet to Dos Pueblos, where the first league meet was held. Cole Smith and Addi Zerrenner repeated their individual victories while leading the Varsity teams to wins. The boys Junior Varsity team also came out on top.

While sitting a key scorer, the Boys team still beat out San Marcos 32 – 43. San Marcos is currently ranked 5th for D3 in CIF-Southern Section. Finishing 1st and 2nd again were Cole Smith (15:06) and Andrew McGuan (15:10). From the gun, Smith led the race and gradually increased his lead. McGuan closed fast over the last 800 meters to catch the Royals’ best runner, Ryan Sorenson. John Greening finished 5th in 15:28 as the fastest third scorer in the race. Senior Tyler Bradford sneaked ahead of a pack of 3 San Marcos runners for a time of 15:50 and 10th place. Behind the pack of Royals was junior Ian Wasjutin (15:58) in 14th, who sealed the victory for the Chargers.

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

Addi Zerrenner leads the Girls Varsity race
(Photos/ Norm Nelson)

A heated dogfight in the girls varsity race ended with Dos Pueblos on top, by the narrowest of margins. They beat out the Ventura Cougars 38-41, and San Marcos finished in 3rd with 77 points. Zerrenner outclassed the field on her way to her fourth victory on the course, and the second this season. Finishing 5th-7th were Dos Pueblos’ Christina Rice (18:29), Natalie McLure (18:34), and Elaine McLure (18:44). Collectively they moved up as the race progressed, and they finished ahead of a pack of 4 Ventura runners. Stepping up into the 5th scoring position was Raquel Fygenson (19:42) who finished 19th. Right behind her in 20th was Tatianna Schluep in 19:55 as DP’s sixth finisher.

The girls junior varsity team finished 4th, and their top scorer was Ruby Gans (20:51) in 7th.

The junior varsity boys barely nipped Ventura 28-31 for the victory. Nathan Alvarez (16:48) and Lennie Nelson (16:52) finished 3rd and 4th. Chargers then took the 6th-10th spots in the race. The key to victory was a level of depth that Ventura could not match.

The girls are currently ranked 10th in Division 2 for CIF Southern Section, and Zerrenner is ranked 12th in the State. The boys squad is ranked 25th for the State across all divisions, and Smith is ranked 10th as a D2 individual in California. Next on tap for the teams is the prestigious Mt. SAC invitational on October 26th in Los Angeles. It is the largest cross country invitational in the country and is also the site of CIF Prelims and Finals in November.