Sports Roundup: Weekly Competition Summary for DP Athletics

By Loren Young

The sports roundup is a weekly installment that aims to cover all of Dos Pueblos’ sports in addition to the larger articles devoted entirely to a single sport.

DP in the Homecoming game against Buena last Friday (Photo | Elisian Ly)

Football (Coach: Nate Mendoza):

On Friday night, the Chargers lost their opening League game to Buena. Sophomore Kellen Roberts was the only scorer for Dos Pueblos, bringing the score at the end of the game 7-24. DP was close enough to Buena’s endzone that they could have brought their score to 14, but an interception by Buena and a run all the way down the field left the Chargers in defeat.

This week, football has an away game Thursday at Santa Barbara (FS at 4 p.m. and SO at 6:30 p.m.) and a home game on Friday versus Santa Barbara (Varsity at 7 p.m.)

Girls Golf (Coach: Rob Schiff):

The girls beat Ventura 187-274 last Thursday at par-35 Buenaventura Golf Course. They bested the previous Chargers’ low by one stroke. Chargers leading the game included Mika Henrickson (34), Bella Vigna (36), Megan Caird (38), Jamie Sharpe (39) and Julie Forester (40).

This week, girls golf is away Thursday versus Oxnard at River Ridge (starting at 2:30 p.m.)

Boys Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

On Tuesday, boys water polo beat Buena 18-6 in their Channel League opener with Blake Parrish scoring 10 of Dos Pueblos’ goals. But on Thursday, the boys weren’t as lucky against San Marcos; with multiple ejections and four people who fouled out (Parrish was one of them), the team barely lost 14-11 in the fourth quarter.

This week, the boys play home on Thursday against Ventura (Varsity at 3 p.m. and JV at 4 p.m.) and Saturday versus Esperanza, also at home (Varsity at 11 a.m. and JV at 12 p.m.)

Girls Tennis (Coach: Anita Patton):

Last Tuesday, the girls battled against Santa Barbara at home, losing a close 10-8 game. It was the best the Chargers had done in a while. Leading the girls were doubles teams Katie Yang and K.C. Egger followed by Chloe Shott and Catherine Wang.

This week, the Varsity plays Friday home against Arroyo Grande at 3 p.m. and JV goes up against Arroyo Grande away at 3 p.m. as well.

DP junior Jeremiah McElwee coming out of the hairpin turn on the notoriously hilly League II course (Photo | Michael Aling)

Cross Country (Coach: Bob Wilcher):

Last Wednesday, Cross Country travelled down to Arroyo Verde Park in Ventura for their second League meet of the season. The extremely hilly course and dust weren’t favorable against Ventura High School, but Varsity boys still came away 3rd, Varsity girls 3rd, JV girls 3rd, and JV boys 2nd. Stand out performances included sophomore Hunter Clark, who finished 8th overall for boys Varsity and beat several veterans on DP’s team. Senior Elaine McClure also took 3rd place overall and first for DP’s Varsity girls.

Then on Saturday, a select group ventured up to Fresno for the Clovis Invitational. Varsity boys Chris Wasjutin and Hunter Clark were able to lead the Chargers with 10th and 33rd place finishes, respectively. Varsity boys scored ninth overall and JV boys 19th overall.

This week, the team hosts the Dos Pueblos Invitational meet at Shoreline Park Friday with freshman boys starting at 2 p.m.

Girls Volleyball (Coach: Todd Garrett):

Last Tuesday, the girls were able to edge in front of San Marcos, beating the Royals 3-1. On SM’s home court, the Chargers came back in a 14-12 deficit to tie the score at 15-15. McKenna Goss and Natalie Klapp were then able to finish off the Royals 17-15, starting their League season 1-0.

Then over the weekend, the Chargers travelled down to the California Challenge girls volleyball tournament and came out 2-3, beating La Jolla Country and Bishop Gorman before being taken out by Buchanan in the first round of the Bronze Bracket.

This week, the girls have a home game versus Santa Barbara with FR/SO at 4 p.m., JV at 5 p.m., and Varsity at 6 p.m.

If your game or competition wasn’t covered here, contact lyoung16@thechargeraccount.org to make sure we hear about it.