Sports Round-up: Week of 10/12 to 10/18

By Loren Young

Football (Coach: Nate Mendoza):

Friday night, varsity football played against Santa Barbara and had a close game, going into overtime and losing 28-21. Sophomore Kellen Roberts passed to junior wide-receiver Josh Flora, starting the game off at 7-0. But as the game progressed, the Dons became more aggressive, catching up and then surpassing DP until the third quarter when Roberts again made a touchdown-pass to Flora, tying the game 14-14. Roberts became injured and had to sit out the rest of the game, being subbed by senior Barrett Burnes. Even with a pass by Burnes to sophomore Blake Erwin, the Dons were leading by the end of the game.

JV lost 21-14 against SB, with a good rush-touchdown by sophomore Chris Noggle and QB sneak by sophomore Tommy Johnson. Freshmen also lost 12-9, with the Dons out-scoring Daniel Arzate’s touchdown and Zachary Guttentag’s 25-yard field goal.

This week, at home, the freshmen play San Marcos at 4 p.m. followed by JV at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday. Varsity plays away at San Marcos on Friday at 7 p.m.

Girls Golf (Coach: Rob Schiff):

Last Tuesday, the girls secured first place in the Channel League by beating San Marcos 188-227. Bella Vigna and Megan Caird lead the team with 34-s. Girls golf went undefeated this season at 15-0, marking 17 straight league titles.

Then on Thursday, the Chargers finished a perfect season, winning against Oxnard 197-313. Megan Caird was DP’s top scorer with a 2-over 38 with Bella Vigna, Mika Henrickson, and Miraya Ramirez trailing just a point behind.

This week, girls golf plays in the Channel League Championships at 8 a.m. in Soule Park.

Boys Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Thursday, Dos Pueblos beat Ventura 19-7 with senior Blake Parrish scoring nine of the 11 goals by halftime; senior Kyle Krutenat also shined by making 14 saves. Then DP was able to make a clean win over Esperanza in a non-league match at home. Blake Parrish, Jake Griffin, Quinn Peacock and Dylan Elliot were the Chargers’ top scorers, ending the match 17-7.

This week, the boys play Tuesday against Santa Barbara at the Dons’ home pool (varsity at 3 p.m., JV at 4 p.m., and FR/SO at 5 p.m.). Then on Thursday, they travel down to Ventura to play Buena with game times the same as on Tuesday.

Girls Tennis (Coach: Anita Patton):

Last Tuesday, the Chargers had a great victory over San Marcos, beating them 16-2 and sweeping their matches. Leading the doubles were Chloe Shott and Catherine Wang, winning their three sets in 6-0, 6-0, 6-1. On the singles side, Katie Yang won all of her matches in 6-1, 6-2, and 6-0. Their win puts the girls at 6-2 and second in League.

On Saturday, the girls kept up their momentum by beating Arroyo Grande in a close 10-8 game. The Chargers swept in singles with Katie Yang, KC Egger and Hannah Kleidermacher winning all three of their sets. Heather Cano and Saylor Yoos lead the girls in doubles.

This week, girls tennis plays Westlake on Wednesday at Westlake with both varsity and JV starting at 2:30 p.m. Varsity has games on Friday against Dana Hills away at Santa Barbara at 3 p.m. and on Saturday at Santa Barbara versus Mira Costa at 11 a.m.

Cross Country (Coach: Bob Wilcher):

Last Friday, the Chargers held their annual Dos Pueblos Invitational meet down at Shoreline Park. Even without the varsity runners competing and with anticipated windy conditions, the team still made a show. Josh McGreggor took third place in the freshman boys race in a time of 16:49. For freshman girls, Tara van Hoorn placed 12th in 22:45, with Abbey McKee trailing a few seconds behind. Dustin Oakes placed 18th in the junior boys race, finishing in 17:11. In the senior boys race, Josh Fry had a time of 17:33 which put him 16th overall.

Thirty of the team’s top runners will travel down to the Mt. SAC Invitational this Friday at Mt. San Antonio College. It is the largest annual cross country invitational in the nation.

Girls Volleyball (Coach: Todd Garrett):

Last Tuesday, Dos Pueblos beat Ventura in a close game with quarter scores of 25-20, 17-25, 25-18, and 25-18. McKenna Goss, Natalie Klapp, Camille Cotter, and Sam Sander lead the girls to victory; Sander created a team-high 28 digs, with Klapp making 15 kills and 19 digs and Goss getting 20 kills and 18 digs.

On Thursday, Santa Barbara was able to stay on top of Dos Pueblos, winning three of four sets. The Chargers lost 25-12, 25-19, and 25-20, with Goss making 11 kills and Klapp having nine kills. DP only had a 0.007 hitting percentage for the game, leaving them 4-2 in league.

This week, the girls have a game Thursday against San Marcos at home (FR/SO at 4 p.m., JV at 5 p.m., and varsity at 6 p.m.). Then on Saturday, JV travels to the Newport Harbor JV Tournament in Los Angeles.

If your game or competition wasn’t covered here, contact lyoung16@thechargeraccount.org to make sure we hear about it and cover it next time.