Sports Round-up: Week of 01/18 to 01/24

By Loren Young

Boys Basketball (Coach: Joe Zamora):

Last Wednesday, the Chargers lost to Buena 67-49 in a Channel League game. The lead scorer was Marcellous Gossett with 13 points, while Dylan Shugart and Jayson Williams both added 11 points apiece.

Then on Friday, they lost 54-30 to San Marcos with the lead cause being that they had 23 turnovers. In Channel League, Dos Pueblos falls to 0-4.

This week, they play Ventura at home on Friday (Frosh play at 4:15 p.m., JV at 5:30 p.m., and Varsity at 7:00 p.m.). Then on Saturday, the boys remain at home to play Arroyo Grande (Frosh play at 4:15 p.m., JV at 5:30 p.m., and Varsity at 7 p.m.).

Girls Basketball (Coach: Phil Sherman):

Last Tuesday, Girls Basketball lost a close game to CIF Division 2A second-ranked Buena 49-44. The Bulldogs pulled ahead after DP lead by three with 1:45 remaining in the game. Hallie Magee was the lead Charger scorer with 21 points, followed by Camila Casanueva with 10 points and Milan McGary with six points.

Then on Thursday, Dos Pueblos beat cross-town rival San Marcos 64-19. Milan McGary and Camila Casanueva added to DP’s victory by scoring 11 points each while Hallie Magee added another 10 points. They improve to 1-3 in Channel League.

Boys Soccer (Coach: Matt York):

Last Tuesday, Boys Soccer beat Buena 4-0. Jessie Jimenez, who was named Sports Athlete of the Week by the Santa Barbara Athletic Round Table, made the first goal of the game within the first 10 minutes of the opening kickoff. A few minutes later, Jimenez scored DP’s second goal from a pass by Nathan Garcia. Jimenez and Tim Heiduk joined forces for the Chargers’ third goal and Drew Richard made the final goal of the game.

Then on Thursday, Jessie Jimenez aided in DP’s fourth straight shutout after they defeated San Marcos 3-0. Jimenez made all three of DP’s goals with the help of Will Parker, Tim Heiduk and Drew Richard. The Chargers improve to 4-0 in Channel League.

Girls Soccer (Coach: Hugh Hollis):

Last Tuesday, the girls tied 1-1 with Buena. Idalis Rodriguez assisted Ady Willett, who scored DP’s only goal.

Then on Thursday, the Chargers came back and beat San Marcos 2-0 in a Channel League game. Anya Schmitz made DP’s first goal in the 53rd minute and Idalis Rodriguez scored the final goal of the game. DP leads in Channel League, going 3-0-1.

Wrestling (Coach: Anthony Califano):

Last Saturday, Cameron Cox, Ryan Fidel, Blair Middleton, Patrick Konkol and Jeff Uyesaka claimed individual titles at the San Marcos Invitational. They helped the Chargers win the team championship with a combined 270 points, beating 13 other teams with second place Channel Islands having only 160 points. Uyesaka won five rounds in the 145 pound division, Konkol had three wins in the 195 pound division, and Diego Lopez, Joshua Murphy, Damien Pennington, Gamaliel Perez and Noah Stevens each got second-place titles in their respective weight divisions.

Girls Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Thursday, Dos Pueblos beat Ventura 17-9 in a Channel League victory. The lead scorers were Ryann Neushul with eight goals, Toni Shackelford with three goals, and Whitney Steidl with two goals.