Sports Round-up: Week of 01/25 to 01/31

By Loren Young

Boys Basketball (Coach: Joe Zamora):

Last Friday, the Chargers lost to Ventura 74-55 in a Channel League game. Dos Pueblos was leading 24-19 in the first quarter but Ventura came back in the second half to take the lead and keep it that way. Jayson Williams was DP’s lead scorer with 13 points, trailed by Marcellous Gossett and Eli Wopat with 12 points apiece and Diego Riker with 10 points.

Then on Saturday, DP was able to defeat Arroyo Grande in the fourth quarter 51-48 in a non-league game hosted in the Sovine Gym. Anthony Trujillo lead the boys with 12 points, followed by Marcellous Gossett with 11 points, helping the team improve to 4-17 in season and ending a seven-game losing streak.

This Wednesday, Boys Basketball battles Santa Barbara at the Dons’ home court (Frosh plays at 4:15 p.m., JV is at 5:30 p.m., and Varsity closes up at 7 p.m.) Then on Friday, they play away at Buena (Frosh is at 4:15 p.m., JV competes at 5:30 p.m., and Varsity wraps up again at 7 p.m.)

Girls Basketball (Coach: Phil Sherman):

Last Thursday, Girls Basketball lost 63-35 to Ventura High. The Bulldogs used their superior height to jump off in the first half with a 35-9 lead. DP’s lead scorers were Camila Casanueva with 13 points and Hallie Magee with 10 points. The team falls to 1-4 in Channel League and 12-8 in season.

Boys Soccer (Coach: Matt York):

Last Thursday, Tim Heiduk helped lead the Chargers to a 6-2 victory over Ventura High. Heiduk made a cross to Ameet Braganza, who made DP’s first goal. Then Heiduk was able to breeze past defenders and score another goal and later helped Jessie Jimenez make another goal with ease. Heiduk made several other passes to Nathan Garcia and Geoff Chappaz who both scored and helped DP secure its 6-2 win.

Girls Soccer (Coach: Hugh Hollis):

Last Thursday, Girls Soccer shut out Ventura in a 3-0 Channel League victory. The first goal came from a throw from Malia Morales to Weslea Greyson, who tapped in the ball and put a point on the board. Morales threw in another ball later in the game to Anya Schmitz for DP’s second goal. The final goal of the game was made by Ady Willett, who received yet another throw-in by Morales. This is the Chargers’ second consecutive shutout thus far.

Wrestling (Coach: Anthony Califano):

Last Thursday, Wrestling claimed the Channel League title as they defeated cross-town rival San Marcos High, winning all but two matches. Adan Alvaro of SM was a presence going against DP’s Gama Perez in the 120-pound division, while SM’s Anthony Hernandez and DP’s Will Fader battled it out in the heavyweight class.

This Saturday, Wrestling competes in the CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) Dual Meet at 10 a.m. in the Sovine Gym.

Girls Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Tuesday, Girls Water Polo was able to barely edge in front of Santa Barbara High for a 6-5 Channel League win. Jordan Williams blocked out a shot on the Chargers’ goal which could have ended the game in a tie. Williams, Olivia Kistler and Thea Neushul each added two goals to DP’s victory.

Then on Thursday, DP beat Buena High 13-5 in a Channel League game. Thea and Ryann Neushul made three goals each, with Whitney Steidl adding two goals for the win. The team improves to 4-1 in League and 12-6 in season.