Sports Round-up: Week of 02/08 to 02/14

DP Controlling the game (Photo | Emma Lewis)

By Loren Young

Last week, Dos Pueblos won many of its final games in all of its sports. Boys basketball beat San Marcos in its last league game. Girls basketball also beat SM in a league match and advanced to CIF. Boys soccer tied the Royals and moved on to CIF. Girls soccer won its last game against SM and beat Rio Mesa; they move on in CIF. Thirteen of 14 DP wrestlers won in the CIF Section Finals and move on in CIF. Girls water polo then beat both Ventura and Santa Barbara High and advance to CIF.

Boys Basketball (Coach: Joe Zamora):

Last Tuesday, Dos Pueblos won their first and last Channel League game against San Marcos 48-36. Marcellous Gossett lead the Chargers with 10 points while nine other of DP’s athletes added to the win.

“[Beating SM] was a nice payoff after going through a tough season, since this was the last game and only win in Channel League. It definitely proved that we’re [still] maturing as a team though, since there’s five sophomores on varsity,” said Dylan Shugart, one of the sophomores on varsity this year.

Boys basketball is now done with its season.

Girls Basketball (Coach: Phil Sherman):

Last Monday, girls basketball beat San Marcos 57-13 in a Channel League game. Hallie Magee was DP’s top scorer with 14 points, followed by Camila Casanueva with 12 points and Holly Barrera with 11 points.

This Saturday, they travel away to Cerritos High School to compete in the CIF Playoffs starting at 3 p.m.

Boys Soccer (Coach: Matt York):

Last Tuesday, the Chargers tied with San Marcos 2-2, ending their regular season. The Royals took an early 1-0 lead in the first half, but Ameet Braganza and Calvin Schipper were able to make up for it with one goal apiece.

This Friday, the team stays home to compete in the first round of CIF Playoffs against Los Alamitos High at 3:30 p.m.

Girls Soccer (Coach: Hugh Hollis):

Last Tuesday, girls soccer beat San Marcos 1-0 in a Channel League game. Anya Schmitz scored the lone goal on a throw-in from Malia Morales. The team was close to winning their first Channel League championship in school history, but Buena High won its final league game and bumped DP down to second place.

“It felt good to almost win Channel League since we would have been the first team [from DP] to be Channel League champions, but we still worked hard and put in great effort,” said Schmitz.

Then on Thursday, the Chargers also beat Rio Mesa High 1-0 in a non-league game, ending their regular season. Kiara Amble made a pass to Ady Willett who scored for DP early in the game. The girls’ final regular season score with a record of 11-6-3 overall and 6-1-1 in league.

This Thursday, they travel to Righetti High School for CIF Playoffs starting at 5 p.m.

Wrestling (Coach: Anthony Califano):

Last Saturday, 13 out of 14 DP wrestlers placed third or won in their matches to move on in CIF for Section Finals. Jonathan Coronado was once again champion and sophomores Ryan Fidel and William Fader joined five other DP wrestlers as first-time champions. Senior Jeffy Uyesaka was also named the lower weight outstanding wrestler. The 13 wrestlers to move on are Coronado, Fidel, Fader, Uyesaka, Patrick Konkol, Jose Murillo, Blair Middleton, Jason Hu, Gama Perez, Diego Lopez, Gabriel Michel, Michael Schmidt, and Damien Pennington.

This Friday and Saturday, wrestling will be away at Grand Terrace High School competing in the CIF Individual Tournament.

Girls Water Polo (Coach: Chris Parrish):

Last Tuesday, the Chargers beat Ventura High 10-4 in a Channel League game. Ryann Neushul lead the girls with three goals and Olivia Kistler made two goals.

Then on Thursday, the team also won over Santa Barbara High 7-4 in their final Channel League game. Whitney Steidl and Jordan Williams were DP’s top scorers with two goals each, followed by sisters Ryann and Thea Neushul and Toni Shackelford with one goal apiece.

“It’s pretty cool that we’ve made it to CIF. We’ve gone really far this year and it’s a great experience,” said freshman Thea Neushul.

This Wednesday, the girls remain home in a game against Los Alamitos High in CIF Playoffs at 3:30 p.m.

For more about Dos Pueblos’ athletic programs, go to dphsa.org.