Intramural Dodgeball Comes to DP

By Tim Heiduk

Letterman's Club intramural coordinators Connor Kanen (left) and Tyler Fletcher (right) are bringing dodgeball to DP. (Photo/Tim Heiduk)

Letterman’s Club intramural coordinators Connor Kanen (left) and Tyler Fletcher (right) have brought dodgeball to DP. (Photo / Tim Heiduk)

“If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.” The sport made famous by the movie “Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story” is currently hitting Dos Pueblos. Charger students will show off their mastery of “the 5 D’s of dodgeball” the next few Thursdays at lunch in the Sovine Gymnasium.

The Letterman’s Club, led by intramural coordinators Connor Kanen and Tyler Fletcher, is hosting the event open to all DP students.

“I think it’s definitely like another fun activity that you can do at DP, something that, you know, it’s never been done at DP,” said Kanen. “So a lot of people hopefully think, ‘Wow, dodgeball? In high school? That’s bold, but that makes me want to try it. That makes me want to go out on a limb, you know, grab a ball, and dodge other ones.”’

Students will compete in teams of six (three boys and three girls), wear unified team apparel and have a team name. There will be officials dressed up in the official black and white pinstripes, and Leadership will be play music.

“How often do you get to play dodgeball in high school? It’s more of a like an elementary school thing to do, even though it’s for all ages, but they like restrict us to playing it only in elementary school,” said Fletcher. “And I feel like without recess, there’s not really too much time to play. So, that’s where we (Kanen and I) come in.”

Fletcher expects a “competitive” environment inside Sovine Gym.

“But with that competitiveness also comes like a sense of, like, familyness and togetherness,” said Fletcher. “It’s just like a friendly, fun environment where we can just get after it.”

Kanen, teammate of Fletcher on the “Mediocre Mikes,” expressed his desire to come out victorious.

“As me personally, and I think I’m speaking for all of the ‘Mediocre Mikes,’ we’re going to be intense and competitive,” said Kanen. “And you know, we want to win.”

Tournament play was supposed to begin on Thursday, Mar. 12, but was postponed to this coming Thursday because only 12 teams were signed up, not the desired 16 to form a bracket. The tournament will be single-elimination, but once a team loses, it will be able to play consolation matches against other teams that have lost.

Intramural dodgeball has become popular recently, with Santa Barbara High School recently hosting a tournament.

Previously this year, the Letterman’s Club hosted intramural badminton and ping-pong, which were both successful. Future intramural sport ideas include 3-on-3 basketball and inner tube water polo.