Sports Round-up: Week of 03/08 to 03/14

By Loren Young

Sophomore Hunter Clark in the last 100m of his winning 4:29 1600m race at the Redondo Nike Invitational in Torrence (Photo / Michael Aling)

Sophomore Hunter Clark in the last 100m of his winning 4:29 1600m race at the Redondo Nike Invitational in Torrance (Photo / Michael Aling)

Two weeks ago, Dos Pueblos had many star performances amongst its sports programs. Cameron Cox competed in the CIF State Wrestling Championships. Baseball won its game against Chaminade High, but lost two other games. Boys volleyball beat Oxnard High in a non-league match. Softball won three of its four games last week. Lacrosse lost both its games to San Marcos High. In track and field, the varsity girls and JV boys teams won overall in a dual meet against Buena; they also had a few athletes win medals in meets over the weekend. Boys tennis won two of its three games while both teams in swim and dive won in a tri-meet. Boys golf beat Ventura High but lost its two other games.

Wrestling Update:

On Friday, Mar. 6, Dos Pueblos’ Cameron Cox went 2-2 at the CIF State Wrestling Championships in Bakersfield. Cox was pinned in the first round by Zach Ruybal of Del Oro High, but won his next two rounds against Max Stevens of Oakdale 8-0 and Adrian Gomez of De La Salle in 4:40 minutes, respectively. Cox was eliminated from the tournament in a 5-4 decision versus Dante Preciado of Olympian High.

Cox won two Channel League titles and a CIF championship in his wrestling career at DP.

Baseball (Coach: Nick Katzenstein):

Baseball had three games.

On Tuesday, DP beat Chaminade High 8-7 in an Easton Tournament game at Westmont College. Dustin Demeter, Darby Naughton and Jesse Speier lead the Chargers after being down three points in the bottom of the seventh inning. Demeter made a 2-0 pitch to win the game after Naughton threw five innings with only one run and Speier made two hits and a run.

Then on Friday, the Chargers lost to Ventura High in a 3-0 shutout, marking the season opener for Channel League. Nick Noggle was the only multi-hit effort going 2-for-3. Luke Coffey, Gio Macias and Quinn Peacock added singles.

By a larger margin on Saturday, DP lost to Harvard Westlake 12-0 in a non-league game.

Boys Volleyball (Coach: Ehren Hug):

On Tuesday, the boys beat Oxnard 25-14, 25-21, and 25-14 in a non-league match. Senior captain Mark Raphael had three aces and 25 assists, while Elliot Brainerd led the Charger attackers with two aces, eight digs and seven kills. Ethan Brier added four kills on four attempts from his middle position. Jack Burns also had two aces, four kills and two blocks.

Then on Saturday in the DP Invitational tournament at UCSB, DP lost to St. Francis High 25-19 and 25-15 in the first round of the playoffs. The Chargers also had a pair of 27-25 sets against Notre Dame.

“It felt good to beat [Oxnard] since we played well together,” said Brier. “I think we can improve a lot as a team after DPI, but we’re getting the fundamentals down and coming together as a team.”

Softball (Coach: Jon Uyesaka):

Softball had four games.

On Wednesday, softball beat Pacifica in a 3-0 shutout during the PacView Challenge tournament. Pitcher Veronika Gulvin struck out 17 of 21 batters and hit two for three at the plate. Jade Sinskul also hit a home run over left-center field during the sixth inning.

Then on Friday, the girls lost to Ventura 3-2 in the opening Channel League game for each team. DP made its two runs to home plate in the first inning of the game, but couldn’t bring home any more. Ventura had two runs in the top of the seventh to lift themselves over the Chargers.

The next day, DP came back to beat Ventura in a 13-0 shutout to take fifth place in the Suzanne Manlet Invitational tournament in Simi Valley. In the first inning, the Chargers opened up an early 4-0 lead and then had nine more runs in the fourth. The game was called by the mercy rule. Lani Evans and Gulvin combined on a two-hitter while Madison Buie, Kai Uyesaka and Gulvin had multiple hits throughout the game.

Earlier in the day, Gulvin also had her second no-hitter of the week in a 5-0 victory over Alemany High. She had 12 strikeouts against the team which normally averages nine runs per game. Evans then made a homerun out past center field.

Lacrosse (Coach: Jeff Sears):

On Tuesday, girls lacrosse lost to San Marcos High 10-7 while the boys also lost to SM 8-2.

Track and Field (Coach: Chris Mollkoy):

Track and Field had three meets.

Last Thursday, the team hosted its first dual meet of the season against Buena High School. Varsity girls won 89-33, as did the JV boys (73-54). The varsity boys and JV girls lost overall 67-60 and 67-59, respectively. Highlight performances included:

• Joshua Fry: first in the 110 Meter hurdles in a time of 16.30 seconds
  • Blayke Harrison: first in the 100 Meter Dash in a time of 10.95 seconds
  • Tatianna Schluep: first in the 800 meter run in a time of 2:26.80
  • Christian Rice: first in the 1600 meter run in a time of 5:25.60
  • Sofia Janotti: first in Triple Jump with a distance of 33-07.00
  • Amber Beletti: first in Shot Put with a distance of 37-09.00

On Saturday, some Chargers had standout performances at the Ventura Invitational, including:

• Daniel Nofrey: second in High Jump with a height of 6 feet 4 inches
  • Josh Fry: third in the Triple Jump with a distance of 19 feet 8.5 inches
  • Amber Belletti: third in Shot Put with a distance of 35 feet 4.5 inches
  • Kaylia Grant: third in the 300 hurdles with a time of 49.82 seconds

Also on Saturday, a select group of Chargers travelled down to Los Angeles for the Redondo Nike Invitational. Hunter Clark took second in the Boys Frosh/Soph 3200 meter run in a time of 9:50.61 and first in the Boys Frosh/Soph 1600 meter run in a time of 4:29.62.

Boys Tennis (Coach: Liz Frech):

On Monday, the boys won a match over Oaks Christian 82-68 even though both teams had tied 9-9 in sets in a non-Channel League game. Miles Baldwin beat Oaks Christian’s Gibson Parker in the second round to sweep his games. Patrick Corpuz of DP also won two matches in the last two rounds after losing to Parker in the first round. Then in doubles, Bryce Ambrose/Mason Dochterman and Quinn Hensley/Vincent Villano won two sets each.

Then on Tuesday, DP beat Ventura 13-5 in its Channel League opening game. The team swept all nine doubles sets, with Hensley and Villano leading them with a 3-0 sweep. The individual scores include:

Singles:

• Miles Baldwin: 2-0
  • Ryan Hodosy: 1-0
  • Garret Foreman: 1-2
  • Christian Hodosy: 0-3

Doubles:

• Quinn Hensley/Vincent Villano: 3-0
  • Bryce Ambrose/Mason Dochterman: 2-0
  • Bryce Ambrose/Ryan Mintzer: 1-0
  • Chris Lane/Ameet Braganza: 2-0
  • Chris Lane/Jason Lee: 1-0

On Thursday, the Chargers lost to Santa Barbara 15-3 in a Channel League game.

Swim/Dive (Coaches: Chris Parrish and Stephanie Henderson):

On Tuesday in a tri-meet at DP, Charger athletes won double events to lead the team to victories in both the boys and girls divisions. Cassandra Barkhorn and Reagan Eickert lead the girls with 500 free and 200 IM victories for Barkhorn and the 200 free, 100 free and 4×100 free relay for Eickert. On the boys’ side, Blake Parrish won the 100 breaststroke and 50 free with his time of 1:00.29 in the 100 breaststroke being a CIF consideration.Walker Bell won the 100 backstroke and also got a CIF consideration time of 4:44 in the 500 free. Theodore Velikov won both the 100 and 200 freestyle.

“Even though we lost seniors last year, people are still doing good this year,” said Barkhorn. “People tried hard [in the meet] and did really good.”

The boys won with 162 points and the girls with 124.5.

Boys Golf (Coach: Dave DeHaras):

On Tuesday, DP won a close game against Ventura, going 408-414 at the Glen Annie Golf Course. Michael Nam lead the Chargers with a low score of 75 followed by Zach Steinberger (80), Mikha Benedictus (81), Dylan Darga (85) and Joseph Pigatti (87).

Then on Wednesday, the team lost to Valencia High 411-433 in a non-league game at the Sandpiper Golf Club. Pigatti’s 84 was DP’s lowest score of the day with Benedictus and Daniel Chung close behind with an 85 each. Barry Motyer scored an 89 and Peter La Mantia had a 90.

Last Thursday, they lost to Santa Barbara High 399-432 in a Channel League match.