Winter Sports

Camila+Casanueva+%2812%29+finishing+her+lay-up.+
Camila Casanueva (12) finishing her lay-up.

Photo credit: Maaria Jaakkola

Photo credit: Maaria Jaakkola

By Maaria Jaakkola, Staff Writer

It is hard to believe that the winter sports season is about to start. No snow, no skating or skiing, winter season here in Santa Barbara includes a different variety of sports. Basketball teams are consuming gyms, soccer teams are running up and down their field, the wrestling team is heating up the wrestling room, and girls water polo players are basically living in the pool.

In fact, this promises to be a successful winter season for Dos Pueblos High School. DP has six talented and hard working teams aiming to succeed. All teams are chasing a Channel League Title and some of them have a good chance to win CIF Southern Section Championship. That is something that does not happen every day. For example, DP has 20 CIF Southern Section Championships during its 50 years.

Boys Basketball

Boys basketball team has a lot of returning players from last year’s team. Last year did not go quite as well as predicted but this year they have the confidence to succeed. “The goal is to compete for a Channel League Championship, make a deep run in the division 2A playoffs and have a better performance in the league this year,” varsity coach Joe Zamora said. 

Boys basketball team will have a great mix of different players this year. Seniors Diego Riker, Dylan Shugart, and Thomas Jimenez are leading the team to success and additionally tough junior guards Cyrus Wallace and Daniel Arzate will have an important role on the team.

The boys basketball team started their season with a home game on the 26th of November against Mater Dei High School, which is nationally ranked each year. DP’s boys fell to Mater Dei 54-87. Marcellous Gossett and Colton Huyck were the top scorers of DP’s boys basketball team with 13 points each.

Girls Basketball

DP’s girls basketball team has never won the Channel League or CIF Southern Section Championship. However, this could be a successful year for them. Last year reaching the semifinals was a great achievement for the team, but this year they are trying to advance even further.  

Girls varsity is experienced with seven seniors and four juniors on the team. The 8th of June will be a sad day for coaches when over half of the team graduates, but for now coaches are optimistic about the upcoming season.  “We have a very balanced team. There are 8-9 players who will be counted on to contribute heavily,” varsity coach Joe Zamora said.

Girls basketball started their season with Atascadero tournament. They had a great weekend by winning all of their three games. Senior Camila Casanueva was chosen as the MVP of the tournament and seniors Kristina Mortimer and Lauren Noggle made it to the All-star team as well as junior Amber Belletti.

Boys Soccer

The boys soccer team will have a lot of returning defenders such as senior Calvin Schipper. That will make the defense very valuable for boys, but offense isn’t going to struggle either. In fact, they also have some really talented younger players, such as Junior Oscar Ferreira. “He is one of those who will replace offense players graduated last year,” coach Matt York said.

Players have also been working hard over the offseason both on the field and in the weight room and the coaching staff  “looks forward to seeing the boys mold into a solid squad this year,” Coach York said. They also set their goals to compete for a League title by not losing any home games and getting to play one or two playoff games on the home field.

Boys soccer team started “real games” on the 28th of November with an away game against Oxnard High School. The game ended with a tie without any goals scored.

Girls Soccer

Girls Soccer team has never won a League Championship or CIF championship but this could be a great year for them. They have a great group of talented girls who have been working hard during the offseason.

Last year nine girls from varsity graduated, so this year there are spots open on the varsity squad. Hopefully talented younger players have developed even more during the summer and are now able to replace the spots of their older soccer sisters.

Girls soccer team started their season by beating Nordhoff High School 7-0. DP’s girls crushed Nordhoff already on the first half scoring six goals.

Girls Water Polo

Girls water polo team is the most successful team in DP’s history and the team has high expectations for this season too. According to coach Connor Levoff this year they might have chances to achieve both a CIF Southern Section Championship and a Channel League Championship.

Girls water polo team has a really talented roster this year. “Our depth and experience will be huge assets throughout the season,” Coach Levoff said. Four seniors Toni Shackelford, Grace Heck, Amelia Meckelborg, and Britini Tisdale will have important roles on the team this year and are all college-bound student athletes.

The team also has three U-19 national team members, junior Ryann Neushul, sophomore Abrielle Hill, and freshmen Jewel Roemer. So girls water polo team will also have great and experienced players replacing seniors graduating in June.  

Wrestling

Wrestling is another historically successful sport at DP and also a really tough one. Wrestlers need to be fast, strong, use their whole body, have the right technique, compete alone but still be able to get along with their team.

But for DP’s wrestling team that does not seem to be a problem. Walking past the wrestling room you can see them doing push ups and hear them counting together. They all seem to have a great team effort, even though they are competing as an individual sport, and that great attitude they have will take them far this season.

The wrestling team will start their official season in December. Be there on the side of the wrestling mat to support them.

Photo credit: Maaria Jaakkola
Sierra Cavaletto (11) finishing her lay-up.