Super Bowl Preview 2017

By Jake Enrico, Sports Editor

Sports Editor and Columnist Jake Enrico

Super Bowl LI has an offensive matchup that will leave the football world in awe. The New England Patriots face off against the Atlanta Falcons in Houston, Texas this year.

Star quarterback for the Patriots, Tom Brady, is looking for his fifth Super Bowl ring, and this year would be a much different victory than his previous four. It would be different because Brady has been playing with a chip on his shoulder this season because the Commissioner of the NFL, Roger Goodell, suspended Brady for the first four games of the season from an incident in Brady and the Patriot’s past.

In the 2014 NFL season, a case known as “Deflategate” became a topic of controversy between football fanatics. In the AFC Championship game of that season, the Patriots’ ball boys were instructed to take some air out of the game balls, causing them to be less than that of the NFL’s required weight. An angry Brady was the worst possible scenario for other NFL teams. He was already the most feared football player in the league, and now he’s just where everyone expected him to be, and he’s only got one thing on his mind, another ring for his collection.

Patriots coach, Bill Belichick, is also looking for his fifth super bowl ring as head coach with the Patriots, which would leave him with a combined total of seven super bowl rings, as he has received two as a defensive coordinator with the New York Giants. Belichick has been one of the most successful coaches of all time and another super bowl victory would just make his legacy that much more impressive.

For the opposing team, this will be the second Super Bowl for the Atlanta Falcons and they are looking to make history by scoring their first super bowl victory for the team.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is leading team with an MVP-caliber season and has given the Falcons a fantastic chance to win. After posting 4,944 passing yards, throwing 38 touchdowns, and having an 117.1 overall passer rating, Ryan’s season was nothing less than superb and has allowed the Falcons to have the very rare chance to compete in a super bowl game. Ryan’s favorite target this season was Wide Receiver, Julio Jones.

After receiving 83 catches, posting 1,409 yards, and catching 6 touchdowns, Jones was one of the biggest parts of the Falcons’ success this season. The Falcons’ defense stepped up as well this season, and Outside Linebacker, Vic Beasley’s 15.5 sacks contributed to that success.
Super Bowl LI will be nothing less than great and will definitely be a great and exciting game to watch on February 5th, at 6:30 p.m. ET, on the Fox network.