DP Media Joins Red Carpet Guests for the 2017 SBIFF

By Jaden Gill, Managing Editor

During the first week of February, Dos Pueblos media was given the opportunity to interview red carpet guests attending the Santa Barbara International Film Festival. Among these guests were up and coming directors, artists, and story tellers who have made their mark in the film world.

Opening Night at the Arlington Theater (February 1st)

Nicky Monreal: Im Nicky from DP media and I was just wondering how the making of this film has impacted your life and career.

Derek Wayne Johnson: The making of John G. Avildsen: King of the Underdogs has affected my career more than any other film I’ve ever done. First of all, not everyone gets to meet their heroes, not everyone gets to befriend their heros, be mentored by their heroes, and get to make a movie about their heros, and I got to do all that and I’m so thankful. Making the film about john has just opened up so many doors for me and my team. We’ve gotten to work with Sylvester Stallone, Martin Scorsese, Ralph Macchio, the list goes on and on and on because of this film and it’s led to so many more opportunities, so not only has it led to opportunities for us, but we’re so thankful and it’s kind of like a dream come true. Getting to work with John Avildsen was like getting to meet Elvis for me, so it’s just been incredible.

NM: What would you say is the main reason you’re still standing here today?

Eduardo Garcia: Because I stopped thinking about it and my heart took over and said hey your heart is beating and I ran with that, right. You go back to a primary place- the heart was beating and I ran with that I didn’t try to overthink it.

NM: What would you like people’s take away to be from this film?

EG: I’d love for people to wake up and dream, hey how powerful, how productive, how purposeful, dream big, “what can I do”- when they wake up in the morning- “what can I do,” “what can I be,” and then go after it.

Maltin Modern Master Award Night at the Arlington Theater (February 2nd)

Susanna Sinclair: What advice do you have for high school students who want to pursue a career in the film industry?

Denzel Washington: Dreams without goals are just dreams and ultimately they fuel disappointment in order to achieve your dreams you must have goals in order to achieve your goals you must apply discipline and consistency never confuse movement with progress.

Outstanding Performers Award Night at the Arlington Theater (February 3rd)

Yannick Gloster: I’d like to ask more about when you were like a high schooler and when u were growing up and getting into films and film making. Did you think ever you’d get to this stage where you’d be directing or producing your own film ?

Eric Goldrich: No, I went to college to be an actor I was an acting major at Emerson college in Boston and producing fell into my lap because I was part of a project and started producing because the head producer left the film so I produced and I said well I’m Jewish and I like numbers and maybe I can do this so I went for it and coming out to la, I found out that I was actually meant to produce and not meant to act necessarily. That’s what happened for me.

Ben Freeberg: So, absolutely I think its was probably college when I realized I wanted to direct documentaries and it took me until 27 years later to finish one so yeah absolutely. It was something more than narrative directing or anything like that I wanted to direct a documentary.

YG: What advice would you give to high schoolers and student who are looking to get into the film industry whether it be acting directing or producing a movie?

BF: Make a movie, that’s it take your phone get a couple friends pick a subject make a movie that’s it or get a fancier rig and shoot a movie. But if you’re passionate and interested and want to find out if you’re passionate go through that.

EG: I think if you have the sprouts of wanting to make something just make it in any way you possibly can the resources are out there to make anything with very little money if any money at all. If you have the people willing to do it I mean I made a feature film in college with 5000 dollars and we shot over three months, every weekend, Thursday thru Sunday, almost 24 hours around the clock and we actually shot a feature film. We just did, it we find a way to do it. But I will say something my dad always told me and it evolved into somethings else whether it’s film making or its “I love banking” or “gardening” or whatever you want to do for the rest of your life not only do you have to want to do it more than anything else in the world, but you have to love it more than anything else in the world because there are going to be especially in entertainment moments where you will have a lot of doubts and that love is gonna bring you through it, drag you through it.

Mia Capuno: What advice do you have for people trying to make it in the film industry?

Kyle Wilamowski: Um so I wanted to make film since I was about 15 years old I think my whole family was really afraid and I think the best thing I can say is be naive I think there’s a lot of power in naivety and pushing blindly forward if I hadn’t done that I don’t think anything would’ve ever happened because you’ll hear a lot of people who tell you you can’t do it and you’ll see a lot of things in your life that tell you that you can’t do it but you really do have to believe in yourself and believe in that thing you care about