DPTC Pulls Off Another Impressive Production With The Addams Family

The+cast+of+The+Addams+Family+clapping+for+their+fellow+cast+mate+Sierra+Kelly+%2811%29%2C+who+played+Morticia+Addams%2C+as+she+bows.++
The cast of The Addams Family clapping for their fellow cast mate Sierra Kelly (11), who played Morticia Addams, as she bows.

Photo credit: Gemma Sturgeon

Photo credit: Gemma Sturgeon

By Gemma Sturgeon, Managing Editor

As the audience settles into their seats in the Dos Pueblos High School EPAC, the sudden yet familiar ‘snap snap’ of The Addams Family theme song echoes throughout the theatre.

The Dos Pueblos Theatre Company put on the musical, The Addams Family, which is set in the future, where the dark and death obsessed Wednesday Addams, played by freshman Kara Boger, has now grown up and is in love with the ‘normal’ and practical Lucas Beineke, played by Nolan Montgomery.

Junior Cooper Jasiorkowski played the grumpy dad of the normal family, a character who thought the Addams family was completely insane, which was an interesting role for him to prepare for.

“The director, Mr. Sayre, had a whole bunch of exercises to kind of get into character, and basically be a grumpy old man,” he said. “He gave everyone a job of coming up with a back story and coming up with thoughts that their character would have.”

Gomez Addams, played by junior Mac Claytor, goes through a confusing realization that his daughter has completely changed, in the song ‘Wednesday’s Growing Up’ where she reveals to him that she is getting married to Lucas.

Sierra Kelly, newcomer to DP and DPTC this year, plays Morticia Addams, a huge role to take on, as she is the wife of Gomez, and had to learn how to prepare for such a captivating role.

“Morticia is a very powerful character,” she said. “And she embodies a lot of subtle strength. She is kind of the magnetic force of every room, so I really had to learn to embody that.”

Kelly gained a lot of experience while being a part of such a professional theatre environment and working on this play.

“Morticia was a type of role I had never really played before,” she said. “It was really interesting preparing for a very dramatic and caricature type of role, while at the same time it being a darker, morbid character.”

Both Kelly and junior Taylor Vaughn were surprised at how successfully executed opening night was, there was endless hard work to get everything finished, and the end product was something the cast and crew were all proud of.

Vaughn was the assistant stage manager for The Addams Family, and had to walk a lot of newcomers to theatre through figuring out how everything works in DPTC. This was a learning experience for her, especially since most of the time it seemed impossible that the play would all come together.

“We were working until the very last minute, we were working until about ten minutes before the curtain opened, just painting and moving sets and touching everything up,” she said. “It was a long and hard process. It was absolutely worth it, completely paid off.”

Vaughn learned a lot about both putting on productions and taking on a leadership role.

“When I’m leading all of my fellow theatre people, and am friends with a lot of cast, that is really difficult to separate friend Taylor from stage manager Taylor,” she said. “I had to learn how to separate those two things, and how to be a good leader, and how to kind of handle little things on the spot.”

Kelly explained the nerves that came over the cast and crew while trying to last minute prepare for the musical, but was proud with how it turned out.

“There was that fear it wouldn’t all come together, but it did,” she said. “We had an amazing cast and crew and everybody pulled it off and pulled their weight. The end product was really fantastic and amazing, and it was so cool to watch it come together.”