Athleisure: A New Age of Fashion

Photo Credit: Kimmy Lac

Photo Credit: Kimmy Lac

Photo Credit: Kimmy Lac

By Nicky Monreal, Staff Writer

Looking fly in streetwear isn’t just for social royalty like Kylie and Gigi, you too can look like you just walked out of the bougiest gym in LA.

Activewear has been relabeled athleisure and has been taking over fashion for years now. Clothing designed for workouts and other athletic activities is worn in other settings, such as work, school or social occasions.

The unofficial uniform of Dos Pueblos High School as well as other high schools has become leggings, and this recurring piece of clothing falls under the category of athleisure.

Athleisure outfits are yoga pants, tights and leggings that look like athletic wear and are characterized as “fashionable, dressed up sweats and exercise clothing.”

According to Forbes new arrivals for yoga pants tripled during a three month period in 2015 when compared to the same time period in the prior year.

Yoga pants have become a hot item on the shelves, the average price rising by 14%.

In 2016 revenue for Lululemon rose to $704.3 million from $602.5 million, this rise shows the extent of the athleisure trend.

With the rise in demand for athleisure clothes big brands like Adidas, Topshop, and Juicy Couture have partnered up with well-known celebrities to create lines of clothing.

The Juicy Couture line at Urban Outfitters, modeled by Tinashe, is a magnet to the public eye.

Using a well known celebrity, along with a highly teenager populated store, is the perfect recipe for a successful fashion comeback. Which is exactly what Juicy Couture is doing, their once highly coveted velour tracksuits are making a comeback from the 2000s.

The most recurring outfits seen at school include things like leggings and running shoes, worn more for comfort and fashion than for the athletic purpose they were designed.

Leggings are easily one of the most inclusive items of clothing, looking and feeling  good on anyone, of any size.

Not only are leggings inclusive but also versatile, they can be dressed up or down, and can be worn really anywhere. People usually have two or more pairs of leggings that they can wear out, as well as ones they can  work out in.

Even though leggings seem to represent comfort over style, they can often be used a status symbols when they come from name brands like Lululemon and Athleta since these leggings range in price from $80 to $150.

Usually when clothes to show status are thought of, the images that come to mind are those of fancy dresses or expensive jewelry, but now yoga pants are being used similarly.

In the past it was formal clothes that were used to show status, but as years have passed brands like Yeezy, Lululemon, and many others have become common as a symbol of wealth.

Fashion can be perceived as a rigid standard because of all the clothing seen in fashion shows, but this form of streetwear is both comfortable and fashionable.
Athleisure makes it easy to look good while still being comfortable, it’s both a relief and a surprise to see fashion heading in the direction of clothes that are both functional and stylish.