Radiohead Leaves Santa Barbara “Daydreaming”

Radiohead+performing+through+low-hanging+fog+and+theatrical+lighting+at+the+Santa+Barbara+Bowl+on+April+2nd.+The+band+left+the+crowd+feeling+content+and+euphoric.+
Radiohead performing through low-hanging fog and theatrical lighting at the Santa Barbara Bowl on April 2nd. The band left the crowd feeling content and euphoric.

Photo credit: Nicky Monreal

Photo credit: Nicky Monreal

By Nicky Monreal, Staff Writer

On April 11, 2017 people gathered at the Santa Barbara Bowl to watch a band that transcends both age and background: Radiohead, a group that all ages can appreciate. For over three decades, this group has been making music, but on this night they brought their unique sound to our town.

As the sun began to set over the Santa Barbara Bowl, eerie music swept over the crowd, hushing the audience to a silent murmur. Suddenly smoke dispersed across the stage and a spotlight turned on.

The thunderous clapping and shouting of the crowd filled The Bowl, as a celestial tune spilled from the speakers. The chord progression of the first song, “Daydreaming,” left the audience with a dazed and melancholy aftertaste.

The light effects seen throughout the show began: beams of luminosity blinding for a moment then tapering into the crowd and up into the dark sky.

Lead singer, Thom Yorke, had impressive range and unique stylization that created an atmosphere of cosmic wonder. With an abundance of albums released, they are a highly respected rock band.

As the electronic ribbons of sound drifted into the crowd, they swayed to the soft guitar strums of “Desert Island Disk.” Each song was followed by a chorus of claps, ending only when another song began.

Yorke softly played a riff on the guitar, “Thank you, goodnight!” he joked, though the show was not even half over.

As they reached the chorus of “Ful Stop,” dashes of varying blues flashed across the oval screen as the crowd bobbed to the beat. The guitarists Jonny Greenwood and Ed O’Brian kept the guitar melody present among the strong percussion and vocals.

Yorke strummed an acoustic guitar to the muddled lyrics of “Climbing Up the Walls,” then played maracas to the upbeat “15 Step” as he danced, singing fervidly.

The band performed with a hypnotizing stage presence, the audience unable to look away.  

The dainty piano track accompanying the mournful but powerful ballad “All I Need,” soothed the audience. “You are all I need, I’m in the middle of your picture lying in the leaves,” the band sang as the chorus arrived.

As a song wound to the end, frontman Yorke said, “I think you’re all in the right place,” and the euphoric crowd screamed back in agreement.

Colin Greenwood on bass and Phil Selway on percussion kept  the steady repetition of the main riff of “The Gloaming” vibrating in seats.

Yorke, never running out of energy, continued jumping around even as the night began to wind towards a closing.

As Radiohead began their last song, “Bodysnatchers,” the crowd cheered wildly, a fitting ending to an iconic night.

As the concert rolled to an end the band took their bows, Yorke thanked the crowd, and the stadium lights turned on.