Bill Woodard Named New Principal at Dos Pueblos High School

Bill+Woodard+takes+on+the+new+responsibility+of+Dos+Pueblos+High+School+principal.+He+meets+with+media+arts+teacher%2C+John+Dent%2C+in+his+office+on+May+1st.+
Bill Woodard takes on the new responsibility of Dos Pueblos High School principal. He meets with media arts teacher, John Dent, in his office on May 1st.

Photo credit: Devon Byers

Photo credit: Devon Byers

By Susanna Sinclair, Editor-in-Chief

There is a new president — of Dos Pueblos High School, that is. Bill Woodard, a staff member at DP since 2004, became the head principal after being the DP mock trial coach, English teacher, Journalism advisor, and most recently, assistant principal.

Former DP principal Shawn Carey transitioned to the role of the Santa Barbara Unified School District’s assistant superintendent of secondary education, which left Woodard as the interim principal on campus.

While Woodard has just recently taken on the role as principal, he has been a part of DP administration for the past six years.

In 2011 Woodard was offered the position of assistant principal by Shawn Carey, who helped him make the transition from a teacher to an administrative role

“I followed Ms. Carey in a lot of jobs,” said Woodard. “She took me under her wing and said ‘I think you’d be really good at this, would you consider filling in for me while I’m on maternity leave?’ and I did.”

Woodard did not necessarily anticipate taking on such a role when he first entered the teaching field. In fact, when he began college, he had another interest in mind.

Woodard started his career in Journalism after graduating from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and later decided to make the shift to teaching after becoming a high school substitute teacher.

“I got a long-term sub position at the school I was at, and just fell in love with being in the classroom and working with teenagers,” said Woodard. “It was a way to be creative daily and also to help mentor and to be in the world of reading and writing.”

An example of Woodard working with high school students was when he became the teacher advisor for DP’s mock trial team, which he was a part of for seven years. Cindy Diaz, a DP senior and varsity member of the mock trial team, said that Woodard gave her more self-assurance on the team.

“Mr. Woodard always believed in me,” said Diaz. “I think he just instilled so much more confidence… and that is really what just got me through mock trial, and I feel that’s really how I’ve been able to excel.”

When the opportunity came for Woodard to transition to a position as assistant principal, he explained that although he would miss teaching, it seemed like the right choice to make the change.

“I felt like I could still be really involved in the classroom in a way by helping teachers and helping them do their jobs, and so that appealed to me,” said Woodard. “I miss teaching a lot, but I’m also really excited and energized by working at things more globally because I think being able to make things better for students is part of being an administrator.”

The process to become the new principal was lengthy, as this year there was a new system under the current superintendent, Cary Matsuoka.

DP media arts teacher, John Dent, was a member of the hiring committee and described what it was like for the candidates running for the position of principal at DP.

“For principals and for this case, they had to teach, run a professional development day, they had to go through a scenario where they are evaluating a teacher,” said Dent. “They had to go through committees that were with parents, with teachers, with administrators, and each group then formulated their top choices.”

Once Woodard was told that he would, in fact, be DP’s new principal, he processed what this new leadership position would mean.

“It’s a big responsibility because you focus on the students but you manage a lot of adults,” said Woodard. “ It’s like being the mayor of a little city, because you have 150 employees, you have 2,000 students.”

Woodard reflected on his goals as principal, stating that he wants every student to be able to succeed.

“There’s a number of things I think we can keep working and improving upon,” said Woodard. “I am really hoping to find ways to support students who maybe don’t see themselves being successful here, and finding ways to feel that every student feels that my school cares about me and wants me to be successful.”