DP Honors the Memory of September 11th, Then and Now

DP+students+assemble+2%2C997+flags+by+the+flag+pole+to+honor+the+lives+lost+on+September+11th%2C+2001.+Many+students+came+out+at+6+am+before+school+to+help+set+up+all+of+the+flags.+
DP students assemble 2,997 flags by the flag pole to honor the lives lost on September 11th, 2001. Many students came out at 6 am before school to help set up all of the flags.

Photo credit: Susanna Sinclair

Photo credit: Susanna Sinclair

By Susanna Sinclair, Web Editor

There was light rain falling in the distance on September 11th, 2017, as Dos Pueblos High School students gathered at 6 am to set up 2,997 American flags in remembrance of the lives that were lost in the terrorist attacks in New York City on September 11th, 2001.

DP staff and students together donated time and energy to helping and honoring those affected by this tragic day in American History, both today and sixteen years ago when the attacks took place.

Bethany Bodenhamer, Social Studies teacher and American Government teacher at DP, was a senior in high school when the attacks occurred. As student-body president of her high school in California, she decided to arrange a fundraiser with other students to support a high school in New York City that was greatly affected.

“We found a high school in New York City that was impacted from the attacks, and the school was going to be out of commission for weeks or months, and a lot of the kids in the school had parents who were impacted by the attacks,” Bodenhamer said. “We raised $7,000 to $10,000 and me and a group of four other students and two teachers we were able to fly the money over.”

Bodenhamer remembers her trip to New York City shortly after the 9/11 attacks vividly. She and a few other classmates and teachers delivered the money to the school— and the way the city looked at the time stuck with her.

“There were missing posters everywhere, people just obviously were still greatly affected by it,” Bodenhamer said. “I remember hearing a man on the sidewalk just playing ‘Amazing Grace’ on his violin, and the gravity of what happened, and how many people were impacted really hit me at that moment.”

Bodenhamer prioritizes teaching her students about this event every year on its anniversary.

“I think it’s really important to continue to teach civil liberties and what we have rights to, but also this new world of increased terrorism that we live in,” Bodenhamer said. “Teaching students to really think about the balance between the two, the balance between civil liberties but safety for our country, and also why maybe we live in a world where we see and hear about terrorism more than we ever have before.”

Although this event took place almost two decades ago, current DP students continue to bring awareness and memorialize the lives lost.

DP senior Paige Maho was in charge of organizing the event for the second year in a row, encouraging DP students to come to campus before the start of school to contribute to the assembly of the flags representing the lives lost in the attacks.

“Coming into high school I knew that a lot of these kids weren’t alive when 9/11 happened,” Maho said. “I wanted to bring the awareness to the DP campus and honor the lives lost on that day.”

Maclane Diehl, DP sophomore, thought it was necessary to come to the event in remembrance.

“The main reason that I participate in remembering it is to remember the almost 3,000 who were killed,” Diehl said. “Whether that was in the plane, in the building, or the firefighters who were brave enough to go risk their lives for the others, I just think it’s very important that we remember them.”

As DP shows its commemoration for the attacks on 9/11, the goal is to allow this event to never be forgotten, and for all the lives affected by this tragedy to be memorialized.