Charger Tech Team Assists a New Wave of Technology at DP

Gina Pearce, an advisor of the Charger Tech Team, assists students with iPad issues. The implementation of the Charger Teach Team has given students help with troubleshooting technology problems during seminar period on Wednesdays and Thursdays at room H1.

Photo credit: Devon Byers

Photo credit: Devon Byers

By Gemma Sturgeon, Print and Design Editor

With the recent addition of iPads for all Sophomores and Juniors at Dos Pueblos High School, there are bound to be technical difficulties. The Charger Tech Team, a group of technologically educated students, is there to help students and teachers transition more efficiently and successfully.

Senior Palak Jain, a member of the Tech Team, hopes to help all students with iPads by assisting them in the process of mastering their new devices.

“There are bound to be tons of problems; parents don’t know what to do, kids don’t know what to do,” Jain said. “We’re just there to help so they can get their work done and get the most out of their iPad experience.”

Jain believes that the problems that come along with new technology are bound to happen, though she hopes students will get used to their iPads soon.

“Obviously when new things start there are going to be issues,” Jain said. “I feel like it won’t be long before everything gets on track.”

Gina Pearce, the advisor who runs the Charger Tech Team alongside advisor Matt York, has been training students in troubleshooting any and all issues with the new iPads.

“The first two weeks, when we met during seminar, it was just about customer service, and more actually teaching them about some of the troubleshooting,” Pearce said. “All of this is new starting this year, so we really had to train them on the systems.”

Maya McClure, a senior at DPHS and intake volunteer coordinator of the Charger Tech Team, assigns students to Tech Team Staff members who help them address their specific problem.

“We’re a group of students, along with Ms. Pearce, the coordinator, who just help out with any technical issues or problems, or troubleshooting,” McClure said. “It’s like the genius bar from Apple, but DP style. We can help with any technical problems.”

Pearce sees the value in the equity of supplying iPads to 10th and 11th graders. It allows each student to have the resources they need to be successful in school, and makes it easier for teachers to integrate technology into their classrooms and individual lesson plans.

“Kids that didn’t have devices at home now actually have one,” Pearce said. “Teachers don’t have to roll carts to their classrooms anymore because the devices are already there.”

McClure sees this addition as a huge adjustment for students. She believes that while it may initially slow down learning, implementing this technology will be worth it for many students in the future.

“I think in the long run, since a lot of our society is having more technology integrated, it’s nice that our school system is doing that too,” McClure said.

Despite any technical difficulties, Pearce is amazed by how successful the iPad distribution has been going.

“The rollout has been really smooth,” she said.  “To roll out 1,100 iPads and have as little issues that we’ve actually had, is pretty amazing.”