CADA Encourages Substance-Free Living Through Annual Open House

Food and refreshments were served at the Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse (CADA) annual Open House on Sept. 9 as they introduced their Friday Night Live Program. The room was decorated with posters promoting Red Ribbon Week, and the commitment many teenagers have made to living substance-free lifestyles.

Photo credit: Penny Scott

Photo credit: Penny Scott

By Penny Scott, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Sept. 9, the Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse (CADA) hosted their annual Open House for students introducing their Friday Night Live Program (FNL).

CADA, the sister program to FNL, houses many other local programs that raise awareness for substance abuse and the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle. FNL focuses on encouraging high school students to develop leadership skills and a drug/alcohol-free lifestyle through alternative activities and involvement in their local and school communities.

FNL, alongside Club Live Coordinator Adriana Almazan, hosted the event to introduce the younger community to the program and to reach out to students and invite them to join. The Open House is hosted at CADA’s facility and offers its full support to FNL, inviting students to come and learn more about the program.

“Our Prevention Program has their full support to open the doors to young people for the Open House to make sure that young people are aware of opportunities in the community,” Almazan said.

Although there were few open house attendees, meaningful connections were quickly made through team building exercises which sought to bring a group of strangers together.

San Marcos High School sophomore, Ashley Draper-Jackson, who joined FNL her freshmen year, has made a lot of friendships and feels very comfortable as a leader while engaging with others at the Open House.

“All the people are really nice, I love everyone here,” Draper-Jackson said. “Even if you’re a new person you’re immediately going to be welcomed and accepted.”

Despite there being no Dos Pueblos High School students at the event, Friday Night Live at Dos Pueblos High School proves incredibly active in planning student-driven campaigns such as Red Ribbon Week.

Dos Pueblos senior, Lizabeth Gutierrez has been a part of FNL since her freshman year. Planning the National Red Ribbon Campaign in order to educate and encourage students on campus to live a drug/alcohol-free lifestyle, while also bringing Dos Pueblos High School students together.

“My favorite thing about FNL is how we all come together as a school and we do positive things and changing things in a good way,” Gutierrez said.

Centered around students and the community, FNL provides numerous community service opportunities for students to apply their leadership skills.

“All of our campaigns are student driven,” Almazan said. “It’s all ideas that they’re passionate about.”

For those interested in FNL and its role in the community, club meetings are held DP on Tuesdays in room B-3 during lunch.