A Sticky Start to Self Discovery and A Sense of Civic Duty

Marcello+Pablo+%2812%29%2C+Hunter+Dahlen+%2812%29%2C+and+Delfino+Rodriguez+Valdivia+%2812%29+creating+their+tape+art+design.+Students+decorated+walls+on+campus+with+their+colored+tape+as+their+creative+project+on+the+first+day+of+school.+
Marcello Pablo (12), Hunter Dahlen (12), and Delfino Rodriguez Valdivia (12) creating their tape art design. Students decorated walls on campus with their colored tape as their creative project on the first day of school.

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery

By Maya Al Sabeh, News Editor

The Academy, established at Dos Pueblos High School in 2008, is a three-year program which supports students struggling academically and emotionally through personalized attention and encouragement from the community.

DP’s Academy program commenced this school year by completing a creative tape art project that took full bloom on the second day of school.

This year’s tape art was actually an addition to the numerous first-day of school projects this Academy class has worked on over the past two years.

Kelly Choi, Academy Coordinator, facilitated last year’s project involving cardboard art.

“Last year they had to take all of the components of what our philosophy is as an Academy and create Academy students made out of just cardboard and pieces of random stuff,” Choi said. “The tape art has definitely been the most visible thing we’ve done though.”

Both years, the Academy has focused their projects on representing themselves and their passions to the community.

During the process of creating the tape art, senior Guadalupe Simon kept in mind the philosophy of H.E.A.R.T, which was taught to her by Choi.

“Mrs. Choi told us that we had to do something that would represent us,” Simon said. “The meaning of H.E.A.R.T: honesty, effort, and respect, and trust.”

This project of self-representation and self-discovery also provided opportunities for  Academy students to test their patience during team efforts.

“We were trying to work on two ideas,” Choi said. “One was frustration tolerance, so learning to get frustrated with something and work your way through it.”

Choi, along with Academy teachers, implemented this component into the tape art projects by giving the students more time than necessary to complete their artwork.

This way students had a greater chance to explore their creativity and add on to their artwork details to fill up the time.

Implementing the tape art project gave Academy students the chance to contribute to the DP community through an artistic platform as well.

“We just wanted to shine some light on the school,” Academy student and senior Francisco Guillermo said.

Senior Desire Neri and her team felt inspired by the challenge and decided to turn the schools’ plain white walls into interactive, angelic Instagram backdrops using just tape and imagination.

“We did the angel wings, we were going with the flow and it’s something that everyone else could interact with,” Neri said. “They could go up to it and take pictures with it.”

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery
The final result of Desiree Neri (12) and her team’s angelic tape art. The school walls remained decorated throughout the first week of school.

Encouraging student to be active participants and members of the school community has been a primary goal of The Academy and is something that Choi feels passionate about.

“I think sometimes The Academy students are definitely looking for ways to get involved back into the school,” Choi said. “Because maybe they had been disengaged from school at some point.”

The Academy students take a majority of their classes together from Sophomore to Senior year, making it difficult sometimes for them to find opportunities to interact with students and teachers outside the program.

Creating the tape art showed DP students and staff what The Academy is all about, helping to mend the disconnect between Academy students and their peers.

“They were hearing people constantly walking by and saying ‘Oh that’s cool!’” Choi said. “Some kids  were even like  ‘Let us help you.’”

Decorating DP’s walls with sneakers, 3D Rubik’s cubes, and Angel wings is just the beginning for Academy students.

The team of students and teachers are planning many other projects for this 2017-2018 school year, but as Choi said, “That’s top secret.”