Behind The Sequins, The Waving Flag of Color Guard

Color+guard+in+their+spirit+uniforms+performing+a+dance+feature+alongside+the+drumline+during+their+marching+show+titled+%22007.%22+The+team+performs+during+DP+halftime+shows+and+at+competitions.+
Color guard in their spirit uniforms performing a dance feature alongside the drumline during their marching show titled

Color guard in their spirit uniforms performing a dance feature alongside the drumline during their marching show titled "007." The team performs during DP halftime shows and at competitions.

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery

By Susanna Sinclair, Web Editor

The Dos Pueblos High School Color Guard enters another season full of costumes, routines, practices, and props, as they prepare for upcoming competitions. For a successful year to take place, an enthusiastic group of committed athletes is key.

DP senior and Color Guard member Valerie Moua, alongside her team, performs dances that combine the use of props at their tournaments.

“It’s about dancing, it’s a mixture of lyrical and ballet all together, and you toss flags, rifles, and sabers,” Moua said. “It takes a lot of dedication and hard work, and it’s all about teamwork, so if you’re the type of person to love working on a team, this is a really good sport.”

It was at Freshman Orientation that Moua decided to pursue her passion for dance by joining Color Guard.

“I just saw a big banner and then this girl told us ‘Oh you do dance? You can do dancing,’” Moua said. “I was like ‘Yeah I will do dance.’ So I decided to join because I love dancing.”

The color guard performs at the DP football games, but their competitions come later in the season, where they compete at different high schools in southern California.

Ada Higuera, DP senior and color guard captain, views performing at football games as a way to practice for upcoming competitions in the season.

“We treat them as a competition that doesn’t really have a score,” Higuera said. “It helps a lot to have football games at home because it’s a little insight of what is coming in the competition for those who have never done one.”

As the team captain, Higuera’s goals for the fall season, as well as for winter guard, are to make the rest of the team feel confident in their dances.

“I think my goals for fall are just to get people into a position where they are comfortable performing in front of others,” Higuera said. “In winter, that final stage of overcoming their fears and just me, in general, getting better as we go on.”

DP sophomore and Color Guard member, Q Le, along with the rest of the team, continue practicing after the season concludes.

“After the competitions are over we go back to working on basics and just advancing our knowledge,” Le said. “They give us harder stuff to learn how to do to prepare for the winter season because the winter season is harder, technique-wise.”

For seniors who are experiencing their final season of Color Guard, the year so far has consisted of practice, but also reflecting and appreciating their team.

“I would say the team, and just waking up early in the morning for competition, it’s the best feeling,” Moua said. “I know that after high school I am going to miss this experience a lot.”