A Look Back on the Girls Golf Season: Adding Another Victory to their Undefeated Title

Senior Bella Vigna practicing before a match against San Marcos. Vigna won her 4th consecutive league title this past season.

Photo credit: Gemma Sturgeon

Photo credit: Gemma Sturgeon

By Molly Sipes, Staff Writer

In so many movies, upperclassman treat freshman as nothing more than kids to push against the lockers, but on the Dos Pueblos Girls Golf team, the only thing upperclassman are pushing is their younger teammates, to reach their full potential.

This year, DP’s Girl’s Golf team had an undefeated season. The team even went on to win the CIF competition and take the top three spots for individual players.

Senior Julia Forster took 3rd place at the CIF tournament and has been a team captain this past season. She had an influential impact on the younger girls golf player, stepping up as a mentor for the rest of her team.

“I was excited to have so many new players on the team,” Forster said. “I got to be a mentor and help them improve. I thought it was really fun to be able to teach them about golf.”

Sophomore Maggie Tang was grateful for the experienced players on the team, as they acted as role models for her on and off the courses.

“They really helped me improve,” Tang said. “They were mentors to me, but they were also my friends.”

This year, the team decided to implement a new pregame ritual to further their solidarity and unity. Before every round, the girls go through a practice routine. They practice putting and chipping technique all together to better the girls’ form and prepare them for what lies ahead in the round.

“We just wanted to get ready as a team,” Forster said. “We wanted to help improve each other’s strengths, all together.”

The girls have built a network of support throughout their team, enabling them to all refine their golf skills and become better friends in the process.

Senior Bella Vigna, winner of four consecutive league titles, agrees that the team’s success can be largely attributed to their bond.

“We’re super close knit,” Vigna said. “It’s a really good dynamic on the team.”

It was this close bond and motivation amongst the team that led the girls to a successful season, remaining undefeated throughout this year, adding to their prominently victorious team record.

Tang believes fully in the effectiveness of the team’s tactics to triumph and admires the captain’s dedication.

“They work really hard, they always work really hard,” Tang said. “And as a team, we always support each other, always.”

This year, several of the more decorated, senior golfers will graduate and leave the team as a much younger and more inexperienced group, fortunately coach Dan Choi is not worried about this affecting the team’s success.

“Traditionally DP has always had good teams,” Choi said. “I think we’re lucky we’ve always just had good girls come out. The older girls have worked with the newer players on the golf course, with a lot of the golfing form.”

Choi has led the team through 18 league championship successes and hopes that next year the team will be able to keep this winning streak up.

While the departing senior players will be missed, the younger generation of girl golfers have been trained to continue showcasing the spirit and skill of DP’s impressive Girl’s Golf Team.