Political Distraction is the Real Issue

Photo credit: Sofia Gerli

Photo credit: Sofia Gerli

By Gemma Sturgeon, Print and Design Editor

Ask most teenagers what the latest law passed in the White House was. Then ask them what President Trump’s most recent tweet said, and expect to see the most concerning consequence of political distraction.

In a world of complete reliance on different forms of media—from television to the Internet—young minds, especially, are the perfect target for the deceitful strategy of political distraction.

According to Mark Leibovich for The New York Times, throughout history, politics has always included some form of deception, though this was intensified as the popularity of television campaigns grew. A well known example is Lyndon Johnson’s “Daisy” advertisement, featuring a young girl picking flowers, with an abrupt explosion at the end.

The deception does not stop at television advertisements. It has grown to include more forms of media throughout the years. By making it easy for candidates to portray themselves and their opponents exactly how they want their audience to see them, there is so much room for deception in the midst of media.

President Trump recently sent out a crude tweet in which he practically teased North Korean leader, Kim Jon Un, declaring that he has a “bigger button” to begin a nuclear war.

This tweet sparked great controversy among many twitter users who were appalled by his immature and consequential threat, but most likely did not have the effort to actually research the current state of our country’s military power.

Teenagers, especially, are reliant on social media, making it easy for President Trump to catch their attention with his out of the ordinary and often offensive manners, thus distracting from the concrete political decisions he is making.

According to Wired.com, Sandra Upson discusses how being distracted by social media often causes us to miss the real news, and miss our chance to speak out against unjust political actions.

The majority of the nation, and particularly the youth, now live their life constantly focused on social media. This is a perfect starting place for politicians and other figures to catch us while we are distracted and ignorant in the face of real political change. This is where civilians begin ignoring what is happening in the United States, which in my eyes is the most destructive coping mechanism.

Ignorance is bliss until the unthinkable happens right in front of us, while we are too busy scrolling through Twitter.