The Year of #TimesUp Saw Very Few Female Grammy Wins

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kesha performing

Kesha performing "Praying" backed by numerous female vocalists. The full video of her performance was released on Kesha's VEVO channel shortly after the Grammys ended.

Photo credit: KeshaVEVO

Photo credit: KeshaVEVO

Photo credit: KeshaVEVO

By Gemma Sturgeon, Print and Design Editor

Among the many female performances representing the #metoo movement, a surprisingly low number of female artists actually took home awards at the 2018 Grammys on Jan. 28.

As many know, Ed Sheeran won the award for Best Pop Solo Performance, over Kelly Clarkson, Kesha, Lady Gaga, and P!nk, to which he was booed for. The idea of the only male in a category of all females winning is disappointing in the grand scheme of feminism.

However the outrage was expressed in a negative, and clearly impulsive way towards the British singer/songwriter, partly because some thought the other musical artists were more deserving and partly because the outcome seemed to be a step back from the fight for female equality in the music industry that so many Grammys attendees were reiterating.

According to Refinery29, less than 10% of the artists were female out of those nominated for the Grammy’s two main awards, Record of the Year and Album of the Year.

The main complaint, on social media specifically, was that Kesha’s hit “Praying,” a song about her journey overcoming the past sexual abuse she suffered lost to Sheeran’s “Shape of You,” a song about being attracted to a girl at a club. This sparked controversy as the message of Kesha’s song was much more meaningful to females than Sheeran’s catchy, but mainstream track.

Kesha had a big year of recovery in the public eye throughout her sexual assault case with Dr. Luke, and she touched the hearts of victims who suffered similar situations in her moving performance of “Praying.” The performance was dedicated to the #metoo movement and included female artists such as Cyndi Lauper and Camila Cabello, all dressed in white.

Maura Johnston of Rolling Stone claimed that there was a major disconnect between the message of the Grammys regarding female empowerment and the actual award show.

The problem lies less with the award winners themselves; Ed Sheeran had no control over his win, more importantly no control over his female competitors not winning. I do however, understand that in the moment those who were booing were simply expressing their anger about the underrepresentation of females in the music industry. Women should be celebrated and treated as equal to males, especially in the cut throat music world.

The solution is not to attack the male artists who did winespecially if they are in support of feminismbut to encourage female artists that extra bit more. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am incredibly bummed out that Kesha or Lady Gaga did not win, as they both recently released influential albums focused on female empowerment, showcasing their personal struggles and how they overcame them. Supporting women in the music industry is crucial if we hope to see a change in next year’s Grammy winners.