The Road to Success: Ryann Neushul and Abbi Hill’s Waterpolo Pursuit

Ryann+Neushul+%2812%29+aims+in+an+attempt+to+score+on+San+Marcos+during+a+league+game+on+Feb+6.+Abbi++Hill+%2811%29+positions+herself+near+the+goal+in+case+the+ball+is+rebounded.+
Ryann Neushul (12) aims in an attempt to score on San Marcos during a league game on Feb 6. Abbi  Hill (11) positions herself near the goal in case the ball is rebounded.

Ryann Neushul (12) aims in an attempt to score on San Marcos during a league game on Feb 6. Abbi Hill (11) positions herself near the goal in case the ball is rebounded.

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery

Photo credit: Aidan Montgomery

By Sierra Cavaletto, Staff Writer

For Dos Pueblos senior Ryann Neushul and junior Abbi Hill, being in the water is a routine part of their lifestyle. Along with playing for the DP Girls Varsity Water Polo team, they play alongside each other on Team USA’s Junior National Team and Santa Barbara 805 Water Polo Club team.

Both Neushul and Hill have been playing water polo since they were young, and have trained hard to be where they are today. The DP Girls Water Polo Varsity Coach and Santa Barbara 805 Water Polo Club Coach, Connor Levoff, has been coaching them for many years, helping them become the players that they are today.

“I’ve been coaching Ryann, since she was about six, and Abbi probably since she was 6 or 7,” Levoff said. “I mean for as long as I can remember being in this town, they were running around the pool deck watching their older siblings play.”

For these girls, playing water polo in college has been a huge goal. Being a junior, Hill is now looking into the colleges that have been scouting her, and Neushul committed to Stanford University back in September.

“I just committed to Stanford for water polo, so I plan on going to Stanford and playing water polo and going to school, which is really important to me,” Neushul said. “And hopefully having a shot at the Olympics.”

Photo credit: photo provided by Abbi Hill
Ryann Neushul (12) and Abbi Hill (11) alongside Team USA’s Junior National Team. Neushul and Hill competed with this team in Greece this past summer.

Since the two players each have siblings who play in college and for Team USA’s Olympic Team, Hill and Neushul are constantly encouraged by their family and strive to follow in their sisters’ footsteps.

“She’s an inspiration to me and I wanna be like her in most ways, even though she is a goalie,” Hill said about Olympian sister, Sammy Hill.

Not only do Neushul and Hill learn from their sisters’ mistakes and skills while in the water, but  they are also constantly inspired by their siblings’ academic success and lifestyle.

“I look up to them 100%. Both my sisters have been through different challenges with the National team and Stanford,” Neushul said. “I have gained so much from them out of the pool and in the pool.”

Hill and Neushul have had the advantage of playing alongside each other on three rigourous teams for years, so their chemistry in the pool with each other and their teammates is evident.

With a tough loss in the CIF Championship game, the Chargers are off to Orange County to play in the CIF State Regional Championship for redemption.