5 things worth learning from Every 15 Minutes

DP+seniors+gather+to+watch+the+Every+15+Minutes+simulation+that+took+place+in+the+campus+loop+on+March+6.+The+simulated+DUI+accident+was+followed+by+an+assembly+on+March+7+that+showcased+the+detrimental+effects+of+driving+under+the+influence+of+alcohol.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

DP seniors gather to watch the Every 15 Minutes simulation that took place in the campus loop on March 6. The simulated DUI accident was followed by an assembly on March 7 that showcased the detrimental effects of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Photo credit: Maya Al Sabeh

Photo credit: Maya Al Sabeh

Photo credit: Maya Al Sabeh

By Maya Al Sabeh, News Editor

The Every 15 Minutes Program left students at Dos Pueblos High School in shock as the surprise simulation was a heartbreaking sight. The simulation, which took place on March 6 at the DP campus loop, was stunted to represent the detrimental effects that drunk driving ensues. In the EPAC, a follow-up assembly consisting of guest speakers and a film presentation by DP Media helped the seniors digest what had occured the previous day.

DP ASB President Peri Hernandez was encouraged by the prospective benefits this program had to offer to the student body and reached out to DP assistant principal Shannon Yorke to implement it on campus. Both Yorke and Hernandez hope the simulation has caused constructive discussion on the matter of drunk driving and hope that students think twice before making the decision to drink and drive.

As an observer of the Every 15 Minutes program, I have compiled a list of takeaways from the program which can benefit those battling the temptations to drink and drive.

Here they are…

1. No One Is Invincible.

The reality is that no one is invincible. Despite how young you are or how glorified these years of adolescence may be, you are not invincible. Ultimately, actions have consequences and when teens resort to drinking, the results aren’t all that pretty to say the least.

Hernandez’s main goal with the program was to prove this notion of invincibility as a fallacy.

“A lot of us begin to feel invincible at this age,” Hernandez said. “You just get excited about things, you start trying new things. I had seen and heard that some people were not being safe and I didn’t feel as though I could just stand by and do nothing.”

1. Your Actions Hurt Others.

When choosing to drink and drive, you are not only putting yourself in danger, but your peers as well. Unfortunately, even those who choose to remain sober and distance themselves from alcohol-encouraging environments can suffer the fatal consequences of drunk drivers.

Guest-speaker Matt Dyes’ story of how his daughter suffered brain damage due to an accident caused by a careless drunk driver struck a chord with Hernandez and many others who heard him speak.

“A lot of people told me they were crying at the assembly and I think that’s because of his local story,” Hernandez said. “When someone comes in with their heart full and has to retell the horrific death of his daughter, that just really gets you.”

1. Alcohol Is Not Glamorous, Rise Above Peer Pressure.

At this age, there is an overwhelming desire to fit-in or be just like everyone else. So for many, drinking seems like the perfect way to let loose and prove to your peers that you are just as cool about drinking a ‘cold one’ as everyone else is. Sorry to burst your bubble, but drinking is not this ultimate rite of passage to popularity or fitting in. It is time to stop glamorizing drinking, especially at such a young age. Firstly, it is a crime!! (We’ll get into that later) and, secondly, what may seem fun now can turn fatal in the future.

Yorke, the Every 15 Minutes program facilitator on campus, believes that featuring the simulation was a more effective approach in communicating to students the dangerous and unglamorous reality of drinking and driving.

“It’s different seeing notes on page versus seeing a simulation in action or hearing from a parent who has lost a loved one because of somebody else’s choices or actions” Yorke said.

1. You only live once.

This phrase has been so often misused and trumy serves as a double-edged sword. When you really dissect the phrase ‘YOLO’ as ‘you only live once,’ the silly things you plan to do can no longer be justified. You only have one life to live, so why not make it worthwhile? Rather than carelessly drinking and jeopardizing your wellbeing and the wellbeing of others, treasure the limited time you have on earth and spend it doing positive things.

As a participant of the retreat for the Every 15 Minutes program, Hernandez realized how this ‘YOLO’ mentality is an unfortunate one, especially for the families of the underage drinkers.

“Sometimes you take for granted how much your parents love you because your young and you have attitude and you’re like ‘awww I’ll see them later, I have so much life to live’, but for some people they don’t,” Hernandez said.

1. Commit the crime, do the time.

Drinking under the age of 21 is a crime. A HUGE CRIME. When someone is caught in possession of alcohol they get their license revoked, pay some heavy fines (which I’m sure a lot of teens don’t have the money for), participate in alcohol education programs, and do community service. This isn’t even the beginning! If you get caught in an accident, hurting or unfortunately killing those in your car, you can be charged with DUI Manslaughter or DUI Murder. Obviously, that isn’t the best way to spend the rest of your life, you know, guilty and in prison.