Editorial: Dos Pueblos homework policies need attention now.

By Editorial Board

The Charger Account Editorial Board | February 14, 2012

Last month, the Dos Pueblos administration and faculty participated in a lively discussion concerning the value of homework–an issue that is not only front and center in the minds of Dos Pueblos students, parents, and teachers, but is also being debated throughout the nation.

The Charger Account applauds Principal Carey, Vice Principal Gleason and the Dos Pueblos faculty for beginning the conversation on this issue by surveying students, parents and teachers, and then sharing the results of this survey with the staff. We also are eagerly looking forward to publishing the results of the survey for our readers.

The fear, however, is that taking action on this issue will prove to be too complex and controversial for our administration to go beyond the talking stage. With varying points of view and differing attitudes amongst the DPHS faculty regarding homework, will the administration be able to deliver meaningful and positive change to the student body?

Instead of waiting for the staff to agree on each aspect of the issue, we believe the administration should adopt the following policies school-wide. Taking action immediately will ensure that the talk is converted to positive change.

Step #1: No homework on holidays, weekends, or school vacations.

Teachers demand student attention from eight in the morning until nearly three in the afternoon and also encourage students to engage in extracurricular sports and clubs. Homework assignments that must be completed over weekends, holidays, and school vacations cut significantly into student family life and the downtime necessary for students to re-energize for school.  Schools such as Ridgewood High School which introduced a homework-free winter break, and the Galloway school district in New Jersey already have policies against weekend or holiday homework, and more schools and districts throughout the country are considering similar policies. Doing so at DPHS, would be more than just a symbolic step. It would signal to the students that the staff respects the need for students’ physical and mental rest.

Step #2: Coordinate test days and lengthy projects.

Steps should be taken to ensure that students do not have multiple tests or projects due on the same day. If tests are piled onto the same day, students will be up all hours of the night studying, which not only impacts their health but most likely impacts the student performance. Coordinating due dates and projects isn’t as difficult as it may sound. Already on our campus, teachers of IB  meet and organize a calendar of projects and tests so that students know well in advance when the assignments are due. With our electronic EDU system, coordinating assignments would be an easy step to take to ensure that the students aren’t swamped on any said day. Besides being easier on the students, they would also be prepared and well rested because they only have one activity for which to prepare.

Step #3: No ‘busy work’

According to the homework survey, there is a feeling among many students that teachers believe that if they do not give a homework assignment, that they are not doing their jobs. Likewise, there are teachers who believe that simply giving homework makes their courses rigorous. We at the Charger Account would like the staff to be able to feel supported if they choose to relax on the homework front just a little bit by only assigning homework that serves a compelling educational mission. Instead of crossword puzzles, mind-numbing notes, or completing the same math problem 40 times, teachers should make homework interactive and assign projects that are interesting to students. With the availability of Khan Academy videos and the ability of students to work together via technology, teachers can create homework assignments that are creative, rigorous and relevant. In short, teachers should think outside the box when they force students to work outside the classroom.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Editorial: Dos Pueblos homework policies need attention now.”

1. Elizabeth on February 15th, 2012 6:14 AM

I believe that the teachers are looking at shorter periods with an extra-period in the middle of the day to help students work on homework or get extra help then.

[Reply]

2. Charger parent on February 15th, 2012 7:14 AM

These are excellent ideas and the administration should implement them immediately.

[Reply]

3. ME on February 15th, 2012 1:35 PM

Well written article. Thank you for highlighting the important issues. As a teacher and a parent, I agree that we can do more by offering less homework so we can work together to care for the needs of the whole student.

[Reply]

4. Jason Emrich on May 6th, 2012 10:46 PM

No homework over holidays and weekends sounds great.

Back in ’88, however, I do remember that the homework which was assigned throughout the week was relevant and useful to learning the course material. Have things changed that much?

Exams seemed to all fall within one week, and that was the norm, and didI require a lot of studying. But that also was not unusual. Having teachers schedule, for example, all language exams in a certain week would be nice. Perhaps history and English another week together…would have exam month? Could that even work?

Maybe more parent involvement, somehow, to set up better studying times at home, or after school group study sessions hosted by the school in the room where the exam will be taken…sort of a tutoring session with the teacher to highlight what to focus on when preparing for the exam. These were helpful in college.
    God bless and praying for a solution!

[Reply]

• Editorial: Dos Pueblos homework policies need attention now.

Editorials

A Farewell to the Seniors of 2014

Editorials

Why the Liberal Arts are not a Dead End

Editorials

On Asking that Special Someone to Prom

Editorials

The Case for Girls in STEM

Editorials

Antarctica…or Bust?

• Announcements

Orientation and First Day of School

• Announcements

Important Dates for the 2017-2018 School Year

• Announcements

Senior Portraits for the Class of 2018

Features

Healthy Standards Rolled Back, DP Cafeteria Chugs Forward

• Announcements

Summer Solstice Volunteers Needed!