Softball update: April 17-21

By Haley Peterson

By Haley Peterson | Features Editor | April 22, 2012

The Dos Pueblos Girl’s softball team (17-2 overall, 7-1 in league) finished a rigorous week of play without dropping a single game.

Junior short-stop Chloe Madill fields a grounds ball (Image courtesy of Santa Barbara Pix)

Tuesday, April 17: Ventura at Dos Pueblos

The Chargers defended their home field in this league game, winning 6-2. Senior pitcher Hannah Harris struck out seven and scattered five hits through 7 innings of work. Offensively, juniors Agnetta Cleland, Chloe Madill, and Cassie Davis all contributed by getting timely hits to help secure the win. Cleland went 2-for-2 and drove in two runs, while Madill hit a double and later scored on a two-out single by Davis in the second inning.

Wednesday, April 18: Dos Pueblos at Westlake

Remaining scoreless until the 6th inning, the Chargers scored a pair of runs in the top of the seventh to earn the 2-1 victory as part of the Pacific View Tournament. Freshman Ady Willett, who went 2-for-3, scored the first run on a bunt from freshman Kai Uyesaka. With one out and a runner on 3rd, junior Haley Peterson drove in freshman Maddy Buie on a gap-shot into left-field. Freshman Veronika Gulvin recorded her first win of her high school career, as Harris picked up the save by recording the final out of the game.

Friday, April 20: Dos Pueblos at Ventura

Davis and Madill each launched two-run homers to help the Chargers mercy the Cougars 10-0 in the teams’ final league match up against each other of the season. Gulvin went 3-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. Harris also contributed to her cause by going 2-for-4 at the plate with a double, and recording six strikeouts with only two hits.

Sophomore Monica Salas goes deep on a two-out, two-run homer to secure the 6-3 win against Hart as part of the Thousand Oaks Tournament (Image courtesy of Santa Barbara Pix)

Saturday, April 21: Thousand Oaks Tournament

The Chargers didn’t let the heat faze them as they faced a tough bracket in the opening weekend of the Thousand Oaks Tournament, playing Division 2 Oxnard in the first game. DP defeated the Yellow Jackets 6-2 by scoring early and never looking back as Davis went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and Uyesaka went 2-for-4 with an RBI.

In the second game, DP challenged Division I Hart in the quarter finals. But at the end of the seven innings of regulation play, the score remained tied 2-2. During International Tie-Breaker, both teams were able to push the run across to force another inning of play. The Chargers were able to go the distance when junior Alyssa Lewis knocked in the first run of the inning by hitting a single up the middle, followed by a two-out, two-run homer hit by sophomore Monica Salas in the top of the eighth inning to put the team ahead 6-3. Harris warded off the Indians in the bottom of the inning after they loaded the bases, securing the win.

The Chargers have another rigorous coming week as they face the Santa Barbara Dons at home on Tuesday, the Camarillo Scorpions at home as part of the Pacific View Tournament on Wednesday, the Dons away on Thursday, and then finish the week with two more games as part of the Thousand Oaks Tournament.

1 Comment

One Response to “Softball update: April 17-21”

1. suzy hoke on April 22nd, 2012 9:20 PM

You do such a great job Haley! Keep up the great work 🙂

[Reply]

• Softball update: April 17-21

Baseball

Sports Round-up: Week of 03/08 to 03/14

• Softball update: April 17-21

Baseball

Sports Round-up: Week of 03/01 to 03/07

• Softball update: April 17-21

Baseball

Sports Round-up: Week of 02/15 to 02/21

• Softball update: April 17-21

Softball

Softball season ends after 2-1 loss to La Habra in CIF quarterfinals

• Softball update: April 17-21

Softball

DP Softball edges Santa Monica 1-0 in CIF Round 2

• Softball update: April 17-21

Photos

Softball takes Channel League title

• Softball update: April 17-21

Softball

Softball wins nail-biter against Buena, keeps league champion hopes alive

• Softball update: April 17-21

Softball

Gulvin pitches no-hitter in first complete game, mercies Dons 17-0

• Softball update: April 17-21

Softball

Harris pitches no-hitter, defeats Dons

• Softball update: April 17-21

Softball

Softball fights way past Royals in high-intensity league game

Softball update: April 17-21